Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NormanStanleyBadger

Set Analysis - Relative Comparison of Current and Previous Month

Hello, 

I have a basic table with sales for customer against year month. How do I compare each month with its own previous month (i.e. Apr vs Mar, May vs Apr etc)  ?

Thanks in advance.

NSB

Labels (5)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @NormanStanleyBadger 

Take a look at this blog post, it describes solving these kinds of problems in the load script:

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-accumulate-values/

What you can do is create a new dimension that links each value to its prior month.

The table would need to look like this:

CompType Month CompMonth
Current May-2023 May-2023
Prior May-2023 Apr-2023
Current Apr-2023 Apr-2023
Prior Apr-2023 Mar-2023

Where Month is the month field in your existing table and the CompMonth field associates it with it's prior month.

You would build this table in the load script, after loading all other data, like this:

CompMonths:
LOAD DISTINCT
   'Current' as CompType,
   Month,
   Month as CompMonth
RESIDENT YourDataTable;

LOAD DISTINCT
   'Prior' as CompType,
   Month,
   Date(AddMonths(Month, -1), 'MMM-YYYY') as CompMonth
RESIDENT YourDataTable;

You would then use the CompMonth dimension in your table or chart and a simple sum(Value) would give you two months worth of data on each dimension point (due to CompMonth associating with two months).

You can then use set analysis to get the Current Month or Prior Month values, with these expressions:

sum({<CompType*={'Current'}>}Value)

and

sum({<CompType*={'Prior'}>}Value)

The variation to the prior month can be found like this:

(sum({<CompType*={'Current'}>}Value)-sum({<CompType*={'Prior'}>}Value))/sum({<CompType*={'Prior'}>}Value)

Approaching it this way makes it simple, but the selections do get a bit messed up. You can expand the set anlaysis to get around this and have Month=,CompMonth=P({$}Month) in your set analysis.

You do need to ensure that all months are formatted the same (using the Date function) to keep things moving smoothly.

Hope that helps.

Steve

View solution in original post

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @NormanStanleyBadger 

If you are not able to get that table added it will be possible by using a straight table, rather than a pivot, and use set analysis for each of the months. If you want to have 12 months worth of comparisons you would need 12 measures.

Steve

View solution in original post

5 Replies
deepanshuSh
Creator III
Creator III

if you are just trying to compare the one month to the previous month, create a column having sum of sales and then use the above function  if working from current to previous then use below function, if reverse use above. 

Trial and error is the key to get unexpected results.
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @NormanStanleyBadger 

Take a look at this blog post, it describes solving these kinds of problems in the load script:

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-accumulate-values/

What you can do is create a new dimension that links each value to its prior month.

The table would need to look like this:

CompType Month CompMonth
Current May-2023 May-2023
Prior May-2023 Apr-2023
Current Apr-2023 Apr-2023
Prior Apr-2023 Mar-2023

Where Month is the month field in your existing table and the CompMonth field associates it with it's prior month.

You would build this table in the load script, after loading all other data, like this:

CompMonths:
LOAD DISTINCT
   'Current' as CompType,
   Month,
   Month as CompMonth
RESIDENT YourDataTable;

LOAD DISTINCT
   'Prior' as CompType,
   Month,
   Date(AddMonths(Month, -1), 'MMM-YYYY') as CompMonth
RESIDENT YourDataTable;

You would then use the CompMonth dimension in your table or chart and a simple sum(Value) would give you two months worth of data on each dimension point (due to CompMonth associating with two months).

You can then use set analysis to get the Current Month or Prior Month values, with these expressions:

sum({<CompType*={'Current'}>}Value)

and

sum({<CompType*={'Prior'}>}Value)

The variation to the prior month can be found like this:

(sum({<CompType*={'Current'}>}Value)-sum({<CompType*={'Prior'}>}Value))/sum({<CompType*={'Prior'}>}Value)

Approaching it this way makes it simple, but the selections do get a bit messed up. You can expand the set anlaysis to get around this and have Month=,CompMonth=P({$}Month) in your set analysis.

You do need to ensure that all months are formatted the same (using the Date function) to keep things moving smoothly.

Hope that helps.

Steve

NormanStanleyBadger
Author

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I have asked my administrator if they can add the relative month column in the calendar table. I know that that is generally the approach used on other BI platforms.

In the meantime, I am not sure Above() will work for me as my table is as below; on a column layout not row?

NormanStanleyBadger_0-1684235814612.png

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @NormanStanleyBadger 

If you are not able to get that table added it will be possible by using a straight table, rather than a pivot, and use set analysis for each of the months. If you want to have 12 months worth of comparisons you would need 12 measures.

Steve

NormanStanleyBadger
Author

Thanks @stevedark  Top Man!