cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thi_pham
Creator III
Creator III

Set up gmail/gsuit as Email server on QSB

Is there anyone got success on setup gmail as Email server on QSB (especially gmail have 2 factor authentication).

I tried some ways, but still not success: (Error: There was a problem sending your email. Please review your settings.)

- smtp address: smtp.gmail.com. Port : 587

- Security: tried all possible choices.

- Email / password : gmail

I tried to generate application password on Google account, then applied -> still failed.

On Gmail, I got a warning email like:

Google has blocked less secure apps. Google has blocked the application you are trying to use because it does not meet our security standards.

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

As I understand it, yes it's on the roadmap to support Oauth which means no less secure apps which, in turn, means being able to use 2FA on Google. Roadmaps aren't something that I control but as I understand it, the functionality is planned but not imminent (i.e. build a work-around for now, like a dummy email address, if the functionality is required).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Google has blocked less secure apps. Google has blocked the application you are trying to use because it does not meet our security standards.

At the current juncture, you will need to enable Less Secure Apps in Google (Account Settings > Security > Less secure apps). This enables integrations to pass a user name and password (over HTTPS) to authenticate into your Google account. There is work underway to support a more modern Oauth flow for this capability.
thi_pham
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank @Levi_Turner , but if I enable Less Secure Apps, I have to disable 2-factor authentication ? Additionally, as my investigation, we can use google application password to get over authentication without disable 2-factor authentication, but I tried and not succeeded with QSB. Do you know potential reason?

Do QSB have a plan to support more modern Oauth flow for this capability?

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

As I understand it, yes it's on the roadmap to support Oauth which means no less secure apps which, in turn, means being able to use 2FA on Google. Roadmaps aren't something that I control but as I understand it, the functionality is planned but not imminent (i.e. build a work-around for now, like a dummy email address, if the functionality is required).

thi_pham
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for your information, dummy email address is great workaround for now. 

AronC
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi, I am struggling with setting up email server to gmail in Qlik Cloud enterprise. Do you know if this authentication-problem still isnt fixed or is the problem on my side? It works fine to set upp everything using office smtp, but cant make it with gmail.

Thanks in advance 🙂 

@Levi_Turner 

AnnaV
Employee
Employee

As of May 30, 2022, ​​Google no longer supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en&utm_source=google-account&utm_medium=profil...