Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdb_blin
Contributor
Contributor

Showing difference between 2 distinctive periods

I am trying to create a measure to show the variance/difference between 2 periods.

For example, I like to show the difference between 2015Q1 vs. 2016Q1.  What's the right expression required in creating such measure in Qlik Sense?

11 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

That depends.

Are you using the Quarter period as a chart dimension?

Do you select one quarter? Or do you select two quarters?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
mdb_blin
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Yes. I am using quarter period. I do select both quartes as well. However, what I like to see if something as follows in table format:

2016Q2 2015Q2 Variance Variance %

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Can you post a small qlikview document that illustrates what you're trying to do?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
mdb_blin
Contributor
Contributor
Author

For example, I like to create a measure that’s able to show the difference between 2016 vs. 2015 in the month of January.

In this particular example, for Item Category Adult Rockers, I would like to have 2 additional columns on the right showing the difference between 284 (2016) – 192 (2015) resulting in a positive variance of 92 and variance % of 47.92%.

harvinderjohal
Creator
Creator

You'll need to use Set Analysis to get the Max Year and subtract the Max Year -1 for Previous Year.

ie.

Try this:

//Variance = Calculate the sales for Max Year and subtract Max Year-1 for previous years

sum({<[Year] = {$(=max([Year]))}>} [Item Category]) - sum({<[Year] = {$(=max([Year])-1)}>} [Item Category])

For your % difference, just divide by the above with the year you want for the increase.  ie.

(sum({<[Year] = {$(=max([Year]))}>} [Item Category]) - sum({<[Year] = {$(=max([Year])-1)}>} [Item Category])/sum({<[Year] = {$(=max([Year])-1)}>} [Item Category]

mdb_blin
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you. I will try this.

harvinderjohal
Creator
Creator

If this works out, could you mark the post as 'helpful' or 'answered'?

One thing to note on Dimension names/Field names.  Year and Month are reserved function names in Qlik.  I would recommend renaming/aliasing your Fields in the Data Load Editor to something a bit more descriptive such as [Order Year], [Order Month], or something different so as to avoid any conflicts or errors in your application.

mdb_blin
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Please advise.

Typed in the following by it shows 0.

I typed in the following per your request in the Measure

harvinderjohal
Creator
Creator

Can you attach your app?