Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fabios
Contributor III
Contributor III

Single-node installation - Availability and upgrade

Hi,

I have some questions related to single-node environment availability, and possibility to upgrade to multi-node.

I'm looking to newly install Qlik Sense Enterprise on premises. The plan is to start with a few users this year and scale up organically. I thought of starting with a single-node installation, since it's simpler, less admin overhead, and should be an ok option to support the firm in the first months.

Here's my concerns:

1. What can I do to improve availability of the single-node installation? E.g. what happens if there is an unexpected performance peak?  Will the site go down and require manual server restart?

2. Is it possible to move to multi-node at a later stage? Is it even worth starting single-node?

Thanks for any tip!

Fabio  

Labels (5)
3 Replies
ganapati_h
Partner Ambassador Alumni

Hi @fabios ,

What small to medium requirements, a single server is good enough. You can keep check monitoring apps to see consumption and when you feel that its hitting saturation you can plan to increase CPU/RAM to existing server and you can add a RIM node(while installing you choose option of joining an existing cluster).

If you are using a VM a proper backup mechanism can help you restore VM in no time in case of a crash. For a physical server you need to take regular backup(to restore you will need some downtime).

Hope this helps.

GH

fabios
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @ganapati_h ,

Thanks! This is comforting. We are indeed using a VM.

Which kind of backup mechanism allows restoring in "no time" in case of crash? Is there a way to automate the restore?

Best,

Fabio 

ganapati_h

Hi @fabios  Qlik doesnt have any auto restoration mechanism. Virtualization softwares like VMWare have mechanisms(e.g Vmotion) for VM restoration.

Regards,
GH