cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aleksander
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Stop Year filter at Today()

Hi, I have a Filter Pane that contains Years, and I want to be able to filter the data for any specific year. But when I select current year (2020 in this case) I want it to only show the dates up to Today's date. Is there a way to do this?

I am currently using this expression to count employees currently active at the end of each year (from a link table with each row containing a unique combination of date and ID number if While EndDate is lower or same as ReferenceDate). (Following this example: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Creating-Reference-Dates-for-Intervals/ba-p/1463944)
But I want to be able to see current active employees too, not the total after people quit later in the year, if that makes sense?

Count(Distinct {<ReferenceDate={'$(=max(ReferenceDate))'}>} ID)

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aleksander
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

I think I figured it out. 
I did it the long and slow way with:

IF
(
Only(Year)= Year(Today()),

Count(Distinct {<ReferenceDate={"$(=Today())"}>} [AnställningNr.]), 

Count(Distinct {<ReferenceDate={"$(=Max(ReferenceDate))"}>} [AnställningNr.])
)

What I also noticed is that because my dates are written YYYY-MM-DD when I used an = before the "$..." it tries to calculate the dates as numbers, ie. 2020 minus 03 minus 10.
I guess I should learn more about Date best practice ^^

View solution in original post

5 Replies
tm_burgers
Creator III
Creator III

I believe if you add a condition to your set analysis to not show dates later than Today it may work; or maybe I am misunderstanding your needs / data model. 

Count(Distinct {<ReferenceDate={'$(=max(ReferenceDate))'}, ReferenceDate={'=<$(=date(today())'}>} ID)

Aleksander
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

With your expression I only get 0 as the value. And when I tried to change the order of the filters:

Count(Distinct {<ReferenceDate={'=<$(=date(today())'}, ReferenceDate={'$(=max(ReferenceDate))'}>} ID)

I get the same results as before, just max date values even on current year. Seems the Max() filter overrides the today() filter? 
Right now Im thinking maybe set a flag in the script as: if(ReferenceDate <=today(),1,0) As LessThanTodayFlag.

And then:
Count(Distinct {<LessThanTodayFlag={'1'}, ReferenceDate={'$(=max(ReferenceDate))'}>} ID)

But Im not sure if that will also run into the same problem? 

tm_burgers
Creator III
Creator III

Have you tried just removing the :
ReferenceDate={'$(=max(ReferenceDate))'}>}

And only having the ReferenceDate={'=<$(=date(today())'} condition?

sunny_talwar

This should work fine based on what I understand

Aleksander
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

I think I figured it out. 
I did it the long and slow way with:

IF
(
Only(Year)= Year(Today()),

Count(Distinct {<ReferenceDate={"$(=Today())"}>} [AnställningNr.]), 

Count(Distinct {<ReferenceDate={"$(=Max(ReferenceDate))"}>} [AnställningNr.])
)

What I also noticed is that because my dates are written YYYY-MM-DD when I used an = before the "$..." it tries to calculate the dates as numbers, ie. 2020 minus 03 minus 10.
I guess I should learn more about Date best practice ^^