Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Syntetic key

Hi guys,

Here comes a simple question from a new Qlik Sense User. I'm getting a syntetic key as shown and with the result that QS isn't showing relevant data. How can I resolve this?

2015-09-14_2146.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the Qlik Community. In order to reduce any misinformation, can you expand on what you mean by "not showing relevant data" - a synthetic key for the most part is harmless and technically should not effect the results of the data. It is not an optimal data model, but should not cause any data errors, so I am curious. The post provided by our members above is a great primer: Synthetic Keys.

A synthetic key is how Qlik resolves an association between tables with multiple columns that have the same name. (composite keys)  The resolution for this is to usually rename those columns or qualify them with the table name, that way they don't assocaite. You can also try using the Data Profile feature (Smart Data Load) available in Qlik Sense 2.0 - this may help resolve some of these for you and recommend an approach.

Let us know how you do, we are here to help and make you successful.

Qlik Sense - Using Smart Data Load (video)

Available here: New to Qlik Sense Videos

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

In order to resolve this synthetic key, we'd need to understand your data model and the meaning of all tables and fields. If you'd like to explain it in detail, we could offer some advice.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

Your tables are not fully expanded so is hard to see which fields create this key.

But as Oleg suggest you need to provide more details or maybe your app to better understand your model.

You need to find a field which unique match two tables and or remove the other one or change their names.

marcus_sommer

To understand whats happening have a look here: Get started with developing qlik datamodels

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Ok, Cool.

Thanks I will have a look at this and will post more info if I don't manage to figure it out. Thanks a million.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the Qlik Community. In order to reduce any misinformation, can you expand on what you mean by "not showing relevant data" - a synthetic key for the most part is harmless and technically should not effect the results of the data. It is not an optimal data model, but should not cause any data errors, so I am curious. The post provided by our members above is a great primer: Synthetic Keys.

A synthetic key is how Qlik resolves an association between tables with multiple columns that have the same name. (composite keys)  The resolution for this is to usually rename those columns or qualify them with the table name, that way they don't assocaite. You can also try using the Data Profile feature (Smart Data Load) available in Qlik Sense 2.0 - this may help resolve some of these for you and recommend an approach.

Let us know how you do, we are here to help and make you successful.

Qlik Sense - Using Smart Data Load (video)

Available here: New to Qlik Sense Videos

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Thank a lot. I figured it out.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Thanks Maria,

Can you please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik