Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brett_WP
Contributor II
Contributor II

Table with Set Analysis expression: Identify specific characters and remove from Total ($)

Hi all, after a little help as can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have a list of Project Codes with 'WIP' amounts attached. All codes begin with 2 x letters, followed by a series of numbers i.e.

AB12345       $1000

BC54321       $5000

ZA55567       $3200 etc...

There are some Project Codes however, that only begin with 1 x letter i.e. N02345, B098765, N755547 etc.

I currently use SET ANALYSIS to identify WIP:     sum({$<WORD_STATUS = {"WIP"}, COST_MIX = {*} >} TOT_AMT)

I'm not sure if I can just add to this expression or need to go another way?

I want to do the following: ... When a Project Code begins with only 1 x letter, then exclude those Project Codes from TOT_AMT. This will leave me with only the WIP Amounts for Project Codes with 2 x letters followed by a number series.

The letter could be any letter from the Alphabet so needs to include some kind of Wild Card.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brett_WP
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I took your advice and defined a flag in my script - thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'm still new at this.

However I used:

LOAD

ProjectCode,

case
when regexp_like(ProjectCode,'^[A-Z]{2}') then 'Y'
else 'N'
end as Flag,

Then as you suggested excluded this using set analysis: sum({$<WORD_STATUS = {"WIP"},FLAG -= {"Y"}>}TOT_AMT)

This solved my issue.

I am curious though, I wasn't able to get the IsNum function to work. Both Qlik and SQL would not accept multiple parameters in the isnum function as you listed in your reply. Am I missing something that would cause this not to work?

Thanks again for your help.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

you may either define a flag in your script and use this flag in set analysis like FlagPC1Char=IsNum(ProjectCode,2,1)
and add sum({$<WORD_STATUS = {"WIP"}, COST_MIX = {*} ,FlagPC1Char={0}>} TOT_AMT)
Check if second character only contains numbers which you want to exclude

or you use an if statement
if (IsNum(ProjectCode,2,1)=0, sum({$<WORD_STATUS = {"WIP"}, COST_MIX = {*} >} TOT_AMT))

Brett_WP
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I took your advice and defined a flag in my script - thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'm still new at this.

However I used:

LOAD

ProjectCode,

case
when regexp_like(ProjectCode,'^[A-Z]{2}') then 'Y'
else 'N'
end as Flag,

Then as you suggested excluded this using set analysis: sum({$<WORD_STATUS = {"WIP"},FLAG -= {"Y"}>}TOT_AMT)

This solved my issue.

I am curious though, I wasn't able to get the IsNum function to work. Both Qlik and SQL would not accept multiple parameters in the isnum function as you listed in your reply. Am I missing something that would cause this not to work?

Thanks again for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

isnum doesnot have multiple Parameters
with the mid function I extract the second character (and only the second character) and test for number
Can you post your Code wich doesnot work?
Testcode: =isnum(mid('A21234',2,1))  or =isnum(mid(ProjectCode,2,1)) 

Brett_WP
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Great, that makes sense. In the original reply the mid function wasn't in the formula so that explains my issue with isnum.

I've tried the correction, however I don't get the correct number. I get the whole "WIP" value as I would with just the Set Analysis.

i.e. sum({$<WORD_STATUS = {"WIP"}, COST_MIX = {*}>} TOT_AMT))

Returns $3.5M

if(isnum(mid(ProjectCode,2,1))=0,sum({$<WORD_STATUS = {"WIP"}, COST_MIX = {*}>} TOT_AMT))

Returns $3.5M

This is still including all ProjectCodes... if working correctly should pull out ~$1M from the TOT_AMT.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The isnum doesnot recognize a number?
can you use the Code isnum(mid(ProjectCode,2,1)) while selecting
different ProjectCodes (one with a character in second place and one with a number
in second place)
try with TextBox or with a Formula in listbox (or post your qvw)

Brett_WP
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Seems to be the set analysis portion of the formula that's causing the issue.

Using the following, returns the correct value: sum(if(isnum(mid(PRNT_PROJ_NO,2,1))=0 AND WORD_STATUS = 'WIP',TOT_AMT))

This shows me the value of all ProjectCodes that begin with 2 x letters and removes all those that don't meet that criteria.

The IsNum function works correctly:

isnum(mid('N0437433',2,1)) returns 1 

isnum(mid('MA013736',2,1)) returns 0

Either way, problem solved and I really appreciate the help.

I'll have to look more into why the Set Analysis is causing problems. A little bit of trial and error to get to the issue.

Thanks again.