Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MEBG93
Creator
Creator

Testing an expression step by step as in MS Excel

Hello everyone,

I've done an IF expression with three IF statements within the same expression. So what I want to know is that, as in MS Excel, I can test/check/evaluate step by step the result of that (or any other) expression in QlikSense.

Regards,

MB

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Just put each expression-part into a separate expression side by side and you will see their results in separate, too.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

Just put each expression-part into a separate expression side by side and you will see their results in separate, too.

- Marcus

MEBG93
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for the response Marcus. I've tried that and could work, but I was looking for something more on the fly so I can see how the expression is behaving in each field, such as the 'Evaluate Formula' option in MS Excel. MB
marcus_sommer

AFAIK until today there is not such feature available - maybe it will be added in the future but it's not easy from a Qlik point of view because all UI calculations are performed on virtual tables defined through the dimensions of the object and this action happens after the edition of the object is finished.

- Marcus

MEBG93
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Marcus. 

It has sense to be difficult to track the expression's result on real time, but 'm just thinking that if Qlik can implement an extension that permit to load the script and then give you a step by step analysis of a previously selected expression. 

Is this possible in the Qlik platform? I'm thinking it could be like the Step-by-step solutions given by Wolfram Alpha after the expression is read and calculated. I believe this could be a very useful tool for Qlik users.

Regards,

MB

marcus_sommer

I assume that something like this is on the Sense roadmap whereby I'm not sure if this feature has really much benefit against my proposed alternatively of creating multiple separate expression-parts because either the expressions are rather simple and such live-evaluation isn't really needed or the expressions are complex - but then this evaluation is often needed multiple times because there are many different dimension-value combinations which might behave quite differently.

- Marcus