Qlik Community

New to Qlik Sense

Discussion board where members can get started with Qlik Sense.

Announcements
Qlik® Product Spotlight: Discover what’s possible. Get more from our products.
See for yourself. Register today.
ift_isabelle
Contributor II

Text as Variable

Hi,

I want to make a dashboard where I can load the conclusions into the dashboard, like:

Header

Conclusion

Graph

For example:

Top 10 Measurment in the last month

The measurement was really high, but its was lower then last month.

Header 1Header 2
Instead of a table I show a graph

The headers and conclusion are currently in an Excel file and I want to update the excel file every month, and I need my text to by flexible. So if I rerun my script with the new excel, the headers will adjust.

I tried putting it in a Text & Image box, but I can only add text by hand or put in a measure. Not a dimension.

Does anyone know a way to put text from an excelfile in Qlik Sense?

Kind regards,

Isabelle

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karthiksrqv
Contributor II

Re: Text as Variable

Hi,

Try these steps:

1. Create a new variable called v_text

2. In your load script, peek one value (say from the first row of your excel) and set that value to v_text

3. In your 'Text & Image' object, put v_text as a measure

4. Turn off titles and details in the Appearance tab of the 'Text & Image' object.

This should finally yield a text box who's contents will change if you change the value in excel.

This is for one such value. If it works, you can then create a family of variables, like v_help_text1, v_help_text2 etc. with v_help_text1 being set to the value from the first row of Excel, v_help_text2 set to the 2nd etc.

Hoping this helps!

6 Replies
karthiksrqv
Contributor II

Hi,

On reading the excel file, cycle through the list, and assign each row a set of variables. Use these variables in the headers. This should ensure that as the values of each variable get refreshed, the final values stay up to date.

ift_isabelle
Contributor II

Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but:

I already loaded my text in the dashboard.

The problem is the visualisation. The Text & Image box only accepts measures or hard coded text.

I can show it in a table, but then I get a title, a total etc. I just want the text...

Please help!

karthiksrqv
Contributor II

Hi,

Try these steps:

1. Create a new variable called v_text

2. In your load script, peek one value (say from the first row of your excel) and set that value to v_text

3. In your 'Text & Image' object, put v_text as a measure

4. Turn off titles and details in the Appearance tab of the 'Text & Image' object.

This should finally yield a text box who's contents will change if you change the value in excel.

This is for one such value. If it works, you can then create a family of variables, like v_help_text1, v_help_text2 etc. with v_help_text1 being set to the value from the first row of Excel, v_help_text2 set to the 2nd etc.

Hoping this helps!

ishanbhatt
Contributor II

Hi Isabelle,

For dynamically changing text use Narrative Extension provided by Qlik. It'll automatically update your text based on the graph.

Thanks,

Ishan

beck_bakytbek
Honored Contributor

Hi Isabellen

look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFT-PNf_z9g

i hope that helps

beck

ift_isabelle
Contributor II