Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jumuravchik
Contributor II
Contributor II

The table total is not the sum of individual rows

Hi Qlik Community!

I am hoping you could help me with a question... I have been doing a lot of research online, but wasn't able to find the answer to the question  -

I use Qlik Sense. I simply created a straight table. The total is not equal to the sum of individual rows. I am wondering why?

To give you a little background here -

I have an ODBC connection set up to Misrosoft SQL DB. There are 2 tables where I am pulling the information from: revenue and discounts. This is one-to-many relationship. One order may have 2 discounts.

For example, we have 1 order completed (Order1) for the total of $10 and 2 discounts (one is $5 and another one is $3). The below is how Qlik Sense records it in the table. Instead of summing $10 and $10, Qlik Sense recognizes somehow that it is one $10-dollar order and records $10 as the total.

How does Qlik Sense know not to add the rows up and recognizes what the right calculation is?

Revenue        Discount_Type         Discount_Amount

Order1        10                   A                              5

Order1        10                   B                              3

Total       10                                           8

Thank you for your help in advance!

Julia

2 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You have run into the sum-of-rows vs expression-total way of calculating sums/totals. It is for experienced Qlik developers well known that sum-of-rows most of the time will be equal to expression-total but not always. Qlik Sense and QlikView use expresion-total as default. That is why Qlik Sense does it correctly.

If you need to "fix" this in Qlik Sense you can use the Aggr-function.

Have a look at this article that is highly relevant to Qlik Sense although it is written with QlikView in mind:

Totals in Charts

lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi

this is because the engine does the total calculation on the real table and not the display table