Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
radmin5253
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thought I was getting the hang of Qlik Sense until this question came up

I want to not show data in a table if one of several filters are selected and I figured the best place to enter a formula would be in the Add-ons>>>>Data handling>>>>Calculation condition  section of the table I want to quit showing data for.

I tried to utilize nested if statements as follows:

IF(GetSelectedCount(Filter1)<> 0,0

,IF(GetSelectedCount(Filter2)<>0,0

,1))

But it does not seem to work with 2 conditions being checked

But the single version works fine IF(GetSelectedCount(Filter1)<> 0,0,1) if I select Filter1 the Data Ahdnling works as expected.

I also tried multiple single conditions tied together with an AND operator and an OR operator as follows:

IF(GetSelectedCount(Filter1)<> 0,0,1) or IF(GetSelectedCount(Filter2)<>0,0,1)

IF(GetSelectedCount(Filter1)<> 0,0,1) and IF(GetSelectedCount(Filter2)<>0,0,1)

But neither of them worked as expected, Is it possible to do nested ifs in the Data Handling area?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
radmin5253
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Rob thanks for the reply I could not get the filtering to work without the IF statement but I did figure out why 3 of the 5  filters did not work. When I looked closely at what was and what was not working I noticed that the three that were not working all had additional code in the filter for example I wanted AppVersion which would by default say 0.5.3 or 1.0.0 to actually say App Ver: 0.5.3 and App Ver: 1.0.0 so I added the following in the filter 'App Ver: '&AppVersion and I guess that is an issue. I got around this by adding that to the load script as opposed to the filter. I also had to remove the filter pane from every additional sheet while I was working on this issue leaving the filter pane only on one sheet as it also appears that Qlik Sense Enterprise looks at every filter pane so when I made these changes on the one to test it did not work because all the other filter panes had the original values.

So by removing all the filter panes, modifying the load script to add in the additional text for clarification, and using the following in the calculation filed everything is now working:

IF(GetSelectedCount([UserType])<>0
or GetSelectedCount([OperatingSystemVersion])<>0
or GetSelectedCount([Country])<>0
or GetSelectedCount([AppVersion])<>0
or GetSelectedCount([MobileDeviceInfo])<>0
,0,1)

Thanks for your reply this was a difficult issue to trouble shoot I had to step away for awhile and think about it and once I did it now makes sense to me as to why it was acting the way it was.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
radmin5253
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Ok so I sort of got this working by using the follwoing: IF(GetSelectedCount([UserType])<>0 or GetSelectedCount([Country])<>0 or GetSelectedCount([AppVersion])<>0 or GetSelectedCount([OperatingSystemVersion])<>0,0,1) Actual line of code, however it only works on two of the four conditions UserType and Country the other two have no effect and I tried them in different orders to no avail.
radmin5253
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Ok more fuel for thought when I use the following formulas in a KPI the following happens: Sum(GetSelectedCount([Country])) and I select a Country from my Filter Pane the count goes up 1,2,3,etc. however Sum(GetSelectedCount([AppVersion])) and I select an AppVersion from my filter pane the count stays at 0. Why would it only work on certain filters and not others I know that AppVersion is valid field because I can filter by it.
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'm not sure why you are not getting counts for some fields, but I can offer some suggestions to make your overall syntax simpler. 

The calculation resolves to a true/false, and the object is calculated if true.  You do not need the if() function. You can simply write:

GetSelectedCount(Filter1) >  0

In Qlik 0 is false and everything else is true.  So you could simplify even further as:

GetSelectedCount(Filter1)

As you discovered, you can test multiple fields (or conditions) using OR.  So write:

GetSelectedCount(Filter1)
or GetSelectedCount(Filter2)

-Rob
http://masterssummit.com
http://qlikviewcookbook.com
http://www.easyqlik.com

radmin5253
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Rob thanks for the reply I could not get the filtering to work without the IF statement but I did figure out why 3 of the 5  filters did not work. When I looked closely at what was and what was not working I noticed that the three that were not working all had additional code in the filter for example I wanted AppVersion which would by default say 0.5.3 or 1.0.0 to actually say App Ver: 0.5.3 and App Ver: 1.0.0 so I added the following in the filter 'App Ver: '&AppVersion and I guess that is an issue. I got around this by adding that to the load script as opposed to the filter. I also had to remove the filter pane from every additional sheet while I was working on this issue leaving the filter pane only on one sheet as it also appears that Qlik Sense Enterprise looks at every filter pane so when I made these changes on the one to test it did not work because all the other filter panes had the original values.

So by removing all the filter panes, modifying the load script to add in the additional text for clarification, and using the following in the calculation filed everything is now working:

IF(GetSelectedCount([UserType])<>0
or GetSelectedCount([OperatingSystemVersion])<>0
or GetSelectedCount([Country])<>0
or GetSelectedCount([AppVersion])<>0
or GetSelectedCount([MobileDeviceInfo])<>0
,0,1)

Thanks for your reply this was a difficult issue to trouble shoot I had to step away for awhile and think about it and once I did it now makes sense to me as to why it was acting the way it was.