cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

UDC connection string Bonita Portal postgres

Dear Experts,

Bare with me, I'm new to the platform.

I have a Bonita Portal with users stored in a PostgreSQL database and I want to make sure our Qlik Sense server can read the database and when people login on the Bonita Portal they can access the Qlik reports with the same credentials as they log in to the Bonita Portal.

So I go to /qmc --> user directory connectors --> create new --> ODBC --> Filled in all the fields, but when I hit apply I get the error:

udc error.PNG

There are drivers installed in the System DNS for postgres drivers, that's the way we can load data from the database in to a report. We have add a new System DNS and tried to use that one, but is failing all the time . See the attachment for my connection string, what am I doing wrong, do I need to configure something else?

--edit

I tried to use a driver that's already there, from Qlik, Qlik-postgres. So I used that as driver, but now I got a time-out.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

I got it working, apparently my typing skills s*cks when it comes to the connection string.

I got it working, but then Qlik wanted to have specific columns omg, why can I not just give that up in the config. If it's empty use the Qlik column name, if not, then use the one that the end-user gives up.

But I have managed to do that to with trigger functions on the postgres side.

Thanks all for the help and pointers, apparantly yesterday, was a very bad day for me

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

Dear Jermaine,

By default, Qlik Sense only allow users who can logon on Windows systems (Local/Active directory).

To be able to logon and integrate your credentials, you need to write a customization and set other configurations. It´s not a simple process, but it´s possible.

Please, mark the CORRECT/HELPFUL comments.

Regards.

Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM
Not applicable
Author

Dear Ricardo,

Thanks for explanation, but I'm not even in the authentication stage yet, I just want to import my users from my external postgres table to Qlik sense, do you have any how to/steps to get that done?

Btw my Qlik sens server is on a different ip address then the bonita postgres database, does that matter for the connection string?

Let's say Qlik sense is running on 10.10.10.5 and my postgres db is running on 10.10.10.6 (CORS problems, don't see it tho, but still)?

These connection strings do not work:

Driver name:

// Gives me the original error in the post

Driver={PostgreSQL Unicode(x64)};Server=<ip adres>;Port=<port>;Database=bonita;Uid=<username>;Pwd=<password>;

// Gives me a time-out, so it's doing more?!?

Driver={Qlik-postgres};Server=<ip adres>;Port=<port>;Database=bonita;Uid=<username>;Pwd=<password>;

System dns name:

// Gives me the original error in the post

Driver={PostgreSQL35W};Server=<ip adres>;Port=<port>;Database=bonita;Uid=<username>;Pwd=<password>;

Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

Ok,

So, the UDC connector is used to load user data into QMC to deliver license, apps, ... It´s not your situation

Instead of, to be able to import users to development, you need to create a DataConnection on your HUB and load users directly from your Postegress Database.

If your problem is time-out, could be a firewall rule. You can try to install a local connection by ODBC to test too.

Qlik Sense can read users from any data connection.

Regards.

Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM
Not applicable
Author

Jermaine,

Have a look at this video for setting up UDCs.  It's likely that one of the configuration settings is incorrect, or a portion of the ODBC connection string is invalid.

Here is the video: User Directory Connectors - YouTube

And look at the UserManagement log in %programdata%\qlik\sense\log\repository\trace.

jg

Not applicable
Author

Ok bare with me, getting confused now. Eventually the users needs to get access to certain apps, eventually we will want to have groups and attach users and rules to it.

Adding data from the postgres database to Qlik goes fine, I can use it in my reports (same external ip as I want to load my users). I can only do that btw in a Qlik sense app (Data Load Editor) in the hub, where should I be to load users?

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the video, I understand that the UDC is ONLY for user information, right? And I should use a virtual proxy to make sure the user can authenticate to the credentials that are stored, in my case, bonita portal postgres db? Although I have integrated Qlik via an iframe, but that's a different question I think.

I also want to manage the user, give access to certain apps, etc, there fore I need UDC right or...?

Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

Yes Jermaine,

To able to read users you need to use Data Load Editor to create a DataConnection to read data from Postgree. This informations will be available to create dashboards, like Total Users, Avg, etc.

So, If you want to allow permissions or access to apps, default is IWA (Integrated Windows Authentication) as far comments and post a video.

The service to write a integrate authentication (instead of IWA) is a expert services or consulting services.

Regards.

Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM
Not applicable
Author

I got it working, apparently my typing skills s*cks when it comes to the connection string.

I got it working, but then Qlik wanted to have specific columns omg, why can I not just give that up in the config. If it's empty use the Qlik column name, if not, then use the one that the end-user gives up.

But I have managed to do that to with trigger functions on the postgres side.

Thanks all for the help and pointers, apparantly yesterday, was a very bad day for me

Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

I´m glad to hear your comments!

Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM