Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philippr1991
Contributor II
Contributor II

Umlaute Charset

Hello everyone,

I am relativly new to qliksense and have a Topic that is bothering me for months.

Im getting the Data from a Sybase Database but german letters like ä,ö,ü arent displayed correctly

From reading trough Forums so far i learned that it is a charset issue and i Need to Change it to like "UTF-8" for example. Is that correct?

But how would i type it correctly in my loading Script?

Lets say i have the table "Customer" and i want the row "Name" to Display ä,ö….. correctly

LTB Connect to…...

Load Name;

[Customer]:

Select Name

from db…...

Now how do i have to Change the "load Name" part?

I would really appreciate some help here

Kind regards: Philipp Riewaldt

Labels (1)
14 Replies
JordyWegman
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

philippr1991
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

First of all thank u very much for ur quick Reply!
I have tried the ApplyCodepage function and it changes the names. But sadly not correctly. Ive tried 1250,1252,65001,65000 and many others that are supposed to represent the necessary letters. Any other tipp that might help? Apologies if that topic was mentioned in the third link im not able to open it.

JordyWegman
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Philip,

No problem, to bad that it didn't help. I was only able to find these, but I think you have already tried them:

Jordy

Climber

Work smarter, not harder
JordyWegman
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Maybe you can also check this: https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-Scripting/How-can-I-use-include-files-saved-in-UTF8/m-p/42858...

Jordy

Climber

Work smarter, not harder
philippr1991
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I cant find that Option in Qlik Sense. 

If i query the Database to Excel it automaticly encodes it correctly. And when I load the Table from Excel into Qlik Sense it also Shows them correctly. Only when I try to get the Connection to the Database directly it is not working. Does this Information help in finding a solution?

JordyWegman
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Then I don't have a solution at this point. If the export to Excel is also working fine, the UTF-8 also seems to be installed on your server. So that shouldn't be the problem. I'm sorry!

Jordy

Climber

Work smarter, not harder
philippr1991
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

No Problem,

still thank you very much for trying!

marcus_sommer

It seems that your database driver caused this behaviour. Maybe there is another one available which could handle it respectively could be configured with the proper charset.

If this i not possible / practicable you could apply a "classical" (nested) replace() logic during the load whereby in your case a mapsubstring() seems to be more suitable. Here an example with translating html-notations into german special chars:

Passing-parameter-strings-that-contain-special-characters

- Marcus

philippr1991
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

First of all thank you all very much for the quick replies,

I had a few weeks Holidays thats why Iam responding so late.

I still couldnt figure a way out to make it work. 

But i noticed something that i havent noticed before, Maybe that helps in finding a solution.

I have Table 1 with 2 rows. both rows contain sorta the same Names but Qlik transforms the Umlauts differently.

column 1 Name: Günter is shown as Gnter

column 2 Name: Günter is shown as G~nter

As i mentioned before I only have this Problem with Qlik, in Excel Query it works perfectly fine + Changing Charset prolly wont work if the current Outcome in Qlik differs from column to column no?

Im thankfull for all ideas!!!