Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Unable to launch Qlick Sense Desktop

Hello,

I've been having a ton of trouble getting Qlik Sense Desktop to run on my work machine. When you try to launch the app (via run as admin or not), you will see the .exe start in Task Manager, then immediately go away. I have installed this on my home machine with no issues.

Work machine is running Win8.1 64bit. Latest .NET, java, flash, the works. Everything on the computer is running latest versions and up-to-date.

I've gone through several forum posts and many Google searches looking for a fix. We opened up port 4747 because this seemed to be a popular one that causes issues. Skype has also been turned off.

Tried uninstalling, restarting, deleting all Qlik folders and registry entries. Restarting, re-downloading, installing as admin and the issue persists.

I'm hoping someone here has an idea as I'm trying to pitch this to the execs, but bit of a problem if I can't get it to open up.

On a side note, downloaded and installed the free QlikView and that opens up just fine. I have since uninstalled it. Issue with Qlik Sense existed before QV was installed for testing.

Currently the log file shows:

Severity    Timestamp    ProcessId    ThreadId    UserId    Message

INFO    20141006T095016.736-0700    3884    5864    Internal\Engine    ComputerName is MYCOMPUTER

INFO    20141006T095016.736-0700    3884    5864    Internal\Engine    Invalid parameter handler set

INFO    20141006T095017.150-0700    3884    5864    Internal\Engine    Locale(s) set

INFO    20141006T095017.165-0700    3884    5864    Internal\Engine    QHeap initialized

INFO    20141006T095017.181-0700    3884    5864    Internal\Engine    Running in desktop mode

INFO    20141006T095017.181-0700    3884    5864    Internal\Engine    Resource DLL set

INFO    20141006T095017.181-0700    3884    5864    Internal\Engine    Initiating server license.

INFO    20141006T095017.212-0700    3884    5864    Internal\Engine    Server Registration: Crash.

22 Replies
Giuseppe_Novello

It has to do with ntdll.dll and the video card? check this post might help:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/programs-close-faulting-...

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue.

Downloaded and updated to the latest Nvidia drivers. Attempted to unregister the ntdll.dll file and re-register.

Qlik Sense desktop still will not run.

Denis_Brajkovic
Former Employee
Former Employee

If I just strictly look at the Sense Desktop log it fails when it tries to read the qvf's. A simple test would be:

- Remove content in folder Apps that is found here: C:\Users\<YourUser>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps

If that doesn't help then completely remove the same folder. Sense Desktop should at startup try to create a new folder (as it doesn't exist).

If none of the above helped could you please tell us if:

- The Apps folder was created

- Attached the new logs

pbr
Employee
Employee

Just as a random question , you don't have a Roaming Profile do you?

Not applicable
Author

Hello, appreciate the response.

I deleted the Qlik folder in Documents.

Attempted to launch Qlik Sense again

Saw the folder was recreated. However, only two directories are in there. Content and Log. The Apps folder was not recreated and the program did not launch.

Looking at the log files, they seem to show the same thing.

And to answer the question below. Not using roaming profiles here.

It's perplexing. Could there be some type of check it's trying to run and perhaps getting blocked by the corporate firewall?

I do really appreciate all your responses in trying to help me get this running. It's a fantastic application when I can get it running.

Giuseppe_Novello

Rygrath,

If you have a Qlik Sense license maintenance agreement, I would open a Qlik support ticket. Maybe they can dig further.

Now, if you believe a firewall problem could be I would check with you security team, if for some reason they have the following ports blocked:

https://help.qlik.com/sense/en-US/online/#../Subsystems/Server_deployment_and_configuration/Content/... Sense/QSSRM_Deployment_Ports.htm?Highlight=port

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Not applicable
Author

We opened up ports 4241, 4242, 4243, 4244, 4432, 4444, 4747, 5050, 5151.

Still unable to open the application. I'll keep playing around with this. Must be something that is preventing it from opening.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rygrath,

If we could get the System Engine log file as well we are able to see mroe in detail what goes wrong. You will find this log file at

C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Log

Thank you.

Br,

Hanna

Not applicable
Author

Hello Hanna,

Thank you much for your reply. Unfortunately the only logs I have are the Start and Exit logs for each attempt that I have attached to my previous replies. I don't see any System Engine Log in the directory. My guess, it's not getting far enough into launching to create one.

Giuseppe_Novello

rygrath,

In this time, if you have a Qlik Sense Maintenance  agreement, I would open a Qlik support ticket for further troubleshooting.

Gio

Giuseppe Novello