Qlik Community

New to Qlik Sense

Discussion board where members can get started with Qlik Sense.

pgrenier
Contributor III

Unexpected behavior using Binary load

Good morning,

Has anyone noticed Sense's funny and unexpected behavior when using the Binary load command? I have tried putting this statement as the initial line in the Data load editor of a new Sense document:

Binary [.\Equity Sales Analysis.qvf];

And here is the result from the Data model viewer:

Equity Sales Analysis extra table.jpg

My first instinct when I saw this was to try to drop the table and simply carry on using this statement:

DROP Table [Equity Sales Analysis];

And this is what can be read from the Data load progress console:

Started loading data

Binary [.\Equity Sales Analysis.qvf] 

Table not found DROP TABLES statement

DROP Table [Equity Sales Analysis]

Data load failed

Any ideas as to what to do to eliminate this unwanted table?

5 Replies
Employee
Employee

Re: Unexpected behavior using Binary load

Dear Philippe,

Can you watch the following video and check if you miss any of the steps?Qlik Sense Desktop - Loading Data from QlikView Applications (video)

Gio

Employee
Employee

Re: Unexpected behavior using Binary load

i tried it out myself and didn't get the same behavior.

i noticed you are using a relative path to the Apps folder (where are all Sense documents would be created).

Is it possible you have named your new app the exact same name as the old one and there is some kind of weird circular issue ?

pgrenier
Contributor III

Re: Unexpected behavior using Binary load

Thanks Giuseppe,

I checked out the video from the link you provided, and still, I do not quite understand why the app is doing this. I hadn't created a data connection and went directly to typing the code based on how things work currently with QV.

Funny thing, though, I did then create a data connection, and replaced the [] characters by quotes, and the extra table is still present in the data model.

After trying this, I started from scratch with a new app, created the Apps data connection and typed the following in:

Binary 'lib://Apps/Equity Sales Analysis.qvf';

Guess what? This time the extra table did not appear.

Now, just to make things interesting, I re-created the first string of events in order to try to duplicate the erroneous scheme with yet again a new app. Well, this time I simply entered Binary sentence as I had done before, such as:

Binary [.\Equity Sales Analysis.qvf];

And the extra table did not appear.

My belief is that this error event was a fluke bug that should not have happened, but still did, and I simply cannot figure out why.

Cheers,

Philippe

pgrenier
Contributor III

Re: Unexpected behavior using Binary load

Hi Jonathan,

No, no, the original app is one of Qlik's example apps that were delivered with the 0.96 GA Beta version.

I did try again and could not reproduce the problem, even with the relative path rather than using a predefined data connection.

Strange...

Thanks for your reply, regards,

Philippe

pgrenier
Contributor III

Re: Unexpected behavior using Binary load

Closing this post as I cannot reproduce the problem a second time

Community Browser