Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srik00001
Contributor III
Contributor III

Updating qlik sense application

Hello experts,

I am looking at incremental load of applcation and currently use QVDs to do the incremental load and it does reduce the overall app refresh time. However i was thinking if there was a different way to achieve incremental and more real time updates.  

One option i was thinking is using APIs or building a utility to directly access the data in the qvf (QIX engine/server cache or whereever the data gets stored) and make updates. Has anyone tried this or have any inputs or guidance related to this?

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Labels (2)
3 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @srik00001 

A well implemented incremental load strategy using QVDs is often all you need, provided all QVD loads are using Optimised Loads and you are only grabbing changed data to add to the QVDs. Depending on the use case, having separate QVDs per month, rather than concatenating to one large QVD, can help improve performance.

If you can't get the performance you need from incremental QVDs, you might want to take a look at Partial Reload in Sense.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/February2023/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Scripting/ScriptPref...

Hope that helps.

Steve

srik00001
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Stevedark,

Thank you for your response. Agree with your points on incremental load strategy. The reason i was asking was because this application has a very large number of users and more real time updates instead of app reloads might be more helpful in identifying whats being updated and ready to use.

I am also curious about the approach of directly updating the QVF file using APIs or some extension utility instead of reloads. Is there a way to even do this ?

Thanks,

Sri

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @srik00001 

I believe it is possible, but it is not something I have done. Hopefully someone will chip in with some thoughts.

The other technology you might want to look at is Direct Query, this keeps the amount of data in memory down by not loading all of it in the load script and it then goes and grabs data direct from the database when it is needed. This is useful when you have narrative against records that you only want to retrieve once you have selected a single row.

Steve