Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
William
Contributor II
Contributor II

Using GetFieldSelections as a Dimension in a AGGR

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I have a AGGR formula that works when I hard code the Dimensions but since I need to pull the Dimensions from User selections I need to use a variable as the one of the Dimension.

The not working formula:

Sum(Aggr(Sum({<[Invoice Date]={"<=$(=Max([Invoice Date])) >=$(=monthstart(addmonths(Max([Invoice Date]), -$(VTopN))))"}>} $(eSales))
/ Sum({<[Invoice Date]={"<=$(=Max([Invoice Date])) >=$(=monthstart(addmonths(Max([Invoice Date]), -$(VTopN))))"}>}CAL_BUSINESS_DAY_IND), Company, $(vTimeDimension)))

Inline Table the User can select from in a drop down on the sheet:

VarianceTime:
Load * Inline [
TimeValue, TimeLabel
1, Var Quarter
2, Var Month
3, Var MtD
4, Var Week
];

vTimeDimension gets values from this formula

if(Index(GetFieldSelections([TimeLabel]), 'Var MtD') > 0, 'MonthToDate')
   if(Index(GetFieldSelections([TimeLabel]), 'Var Month') > 0, '[Acctg Period]',
      if(Index(GetFieldSelections([TimeLabel]), 'Var Week') > 0, '[Week Start]', '[Year Quarter]')

But vTimeDimension isn't evaluating the 'if' statement but instead contains the whole statement and this causes the AGGR formula not to work correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
William
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Marcus for all your help, your suggestions got me to the answer that works best for me.

This is what I finally found works best for me:

Sum({<[Invoice Date]={"<=$(=Max([Invoice Date])) >=$(=monthstart(addmonths(Max([Invoice Date]), -$(VTopN))))"}>} Aggr(Sum($(eSales))
/ Sum(CAL_BUSINESS_DAY_IND), Company, [$(=TimeLabel)]))

View solution in original post

6 Replies
William
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Maybe a little more explanation might help.

The function is calculating the Average Sales per a day for the amount of data the user selects and then display the results in a pivot chart.

It starts out by limiting the amount of data considered, $(VTopN) contains the number of Months to consider by using the Set Analysis '{<[Invoice Date]={"<=$(=Max([Invoice Date])) >=$(=monthstart(addmonths(Max([Invoice Date]), -$(VTopN))))"}>}'

Then it divides Sales '$(eSales)' by the number of business days 'CAL_BUSINESS_DAY_IND'.

Then it aggregates this data by 'Company' and a time period selected by the user from a drop '$(vTimeDimension)'.

This is then displayed in a Pivot Chart on the sheet.

Also there is a mistake in my vTimeDimension code, it should show this:

if(Index(GetFieldSelections([TimeLabel]), 'Var MtD') > 0, 'MonthToDate',
if(Index(GetFieldSelections([TimeLabel]), 'Var Month') > 0, '[Acctg Period]',
if(Index(GetFieldSelections([TimeLabel]), 'Var Week') > 0, '[Week Start]', '[Year Quarter]')
))

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them. I figure it must be something obvious I'm doing wrong I just don't see it.

marcus_sommer

Try it with:

Sum(Aggr(Sum({<[Invoice Date]={"<=$(=Max([Invoice Date])) >=$(=monthstart(addmonths(Max([Invoice Date]), -$(VTopN))))"}>} $(eSales))
/ Sum({<[Invoice Date]={"<=$(=Max([Invoice Date])) >=$(=monthstart(addmonths(Max([Invoice Date]), -$(VTopN))))"}>}CAL_BUSINESS_DAY_IND), Company, $(=vTimeDimension)))

whereby you don't really need this variable-stuff - just providing the appropriate fieldnames within your inline-table respectively the target-listbox will be enough, like:

VarianceTime:
Load * Inline [
TimeValue, FieldName
1, Year Quarter
2, Acctg Period
3, MonthToDate
4, Week Start
];

/ Sum({<[Invoice Date]={"<=$(=Max([Invoice Date])) >=$(=monthstart(addmonths(Max([Invoice Date]), -$(VTopN))))"}>}CAL_BUSINESS_DAY_IND), Company, [$(=FieldName)]))

- Marcus

William
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried your first suggestion '$(=vTimeDimension)' and it had no effect.

I was kind of hoping not to change any Visuals  because the Users are a little 'picky' and not very tech savvy but I guess I might have to. I will try your second suggestion and let you know soon if it works. 

Thanks again.

marcus_sommer

What happens if you creates two textboxes with:

vTimeDimension and $(=vTimeDimension)

Beside this you could also stay by your TimeLabel and adding the FieldName as third field to the inline-table (and of course you need to set the listbox to ShowAlwaysOneValue to ensure that there is always only a single value).

- Marcus

William
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the new ideas.

vTimeDimension shows nothing in a text box but $(vTimeDimension) and $(=vTimeDimension) both show the correct value, exactly what I expect to see. This is what is confusing me, shouldn't it also work in the Aggr function like it does in the text boxes? I've also tried '$(vTimeDimension)', "$(vTimeDimension)", [$(vTimeDimension)], $(=$(vTimeDimension))), =vTimeDimension, '=vTimeDimension', "=vTimeDimension" and nothing works. LOL, I know you are thinking some of the above are ludicrous and would never work but I got a little desperate.

Actually what I decided to do was just change the incoming data field names so the Users still see what they expect.

William
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Marcus for all your help, your suggestions got me to the answer that works best for me.

This is what I finally found works best for me:

Sum({<[Invoice Date]={"<=$(=Max([Invoice Date])) >=$(=monthstart(addmonths(Max([Invoice Date]), -$(VTopN))))"}>} Aggr(Sum($(eSales))
/ Sum(CAL_BUSINESS_DAY_IND), Company, [$(=TimeLabel)]))