Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Shared Drive Letter with Qlik Sense and Files

Hi Michael, thanks for the walk through. We are attempting something similar, using a Qlik Sense server on a server machine. We have established a Shared Drive connection at the Server Machine level, but when trying to "find" the virtual Z:// drive, in the "Create New Connections -> Folders" section, the Z://Drive does not appear.

How can we configure this so that the Z:// Drive is visible to the Alteryx Data Load Editor?

3 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Andy, - I branched your question to a new discussion thread. See below and let me know how you do.

It seems that mapped drive letters DO NOT appear by default - but if you type in U:\  - <mapped letter:\> - it will display the files as you see here.

MAKE SURE that the account that is being used to start the service has the appropriate read access rights to see that server / folder: - specifically I believe it is the engine service.

Click to enlarge

Alternatively you can use UNC path - such as \\share\folder as well:

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Windows services do not support mapped [aka shared} drives [aka drive letters] and the QlikSense services are Windows services.  So no can do.

You will need to use the unc path instead.

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

To your point, https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.0/Subsystems/Hub/Content/DataSource/load-data-from-files.htm:

It is not possible to use a mapped network drive in the path.

This is not something that is guaranteed to work and in general doesn't scale very well if you are going to horizontally scale across multi-node. UNC shares will resolve as long as DNS / resolution is in place (if this is broken then you have bigger issues organizationally) and permissions do not change.