Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using a Windows Service Account in a DB Connection

I am new to Qlik Sense and trying to create a DB Connection using Windows Authentication.  I, myself, have access to the DB through my domain credentials (e.g. can login via SSMS).

When I create a connection in Qlik Sense with a new app and add a DB Connection I choose the OLE DB for Microsoft SQL Server.  However selecting Windows Authentication fails.  I'm forced to use a sql account. 

However, my real goal is to establish a library connection that uses a Windows Service account (domain login).  Either way, I don't understand why Windows Authentication that failed.

Please advise and thanks!

Paul

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Paul,

In order to use Windows Integrated Security with OLE DB and MS SQL - the Qlik Sense Engine service needs to be started with an account that also has WIS access to the in the security settings in your MS SQ server.

Here are my settings for example:

7-14-2015 4-13-02 PM.png

For clarity, Qlik Sense does not function like traditional BI and SQL-based query tools.

We pull data into our in-memory engine (QIX) and then you can perform the analysis using the data loaded into the app. Once the data is loaded into the app, you can also secure the app and its data in a few ways.

If I can understand more about your use case I can help you further.

Also if you have not seen these yet: New to Qlik Sense Videos - they will also help you become more familiar with Qlik Sense.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

10 Replies
arthur_dom
Creator III
Creator III

Hi there!

Are you using Qlik Sense Server or dektop?

Not applicable
Author

Server.

Thanks!

arthur_dom
Creator III
Creator III

It probably is using the user of qlik sense service to authenticate, and fails because that user doesn't have access. You want to change the connection depending on user accessing qlik sense?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Paul,

In order to use Windows Integrated Security with OLE DB and MS SQL - the Qlik Sense Engine service needs to be started with an account that also has WIS access to the in the security settings in your MS SQ server.

Here are my settings for example:

7-14-2015 4-13-02 PM.png

For clarity, Qlik Sense does not function like traditional BI and SQL-based query tools.

We pull data into our in-memory engine (QIX) and then you can perform the analysis using the data loaded into the app. Once the data is loaded into the app, you can also secure the app and its data in a few ways.

If I can understand more about your use case I can help you further.

Also if you have not seen these yet: New to Qlik Sense Videos - they will also help you become more familiar with Qlik Sense.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Yo Mike!

Thanks and I'm pretty sure this answers it.  I was wondering if the service account needed to be setup under the Security of the Database Server (in addition to the specific objects within the DB as has been our previous practice).

Assuming you have just created the login at the root Security level and also applied whatever granular permissions for that user at the DB?

Thanks!

Paul

PS will mark your answer as correct as soon as you confirm.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Paul - correct. Let me know if you have any issues.

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi All,

We are trying to get this working.  We restarted the Qlik Sense Engine Service as stared above.

qlik engine service.png

Now we can see the Engine Service running under the WIS account.

engine running under WIS.png

However, now when we try to access the hub or QMC we receive the following error.

engine error.png

Do we need to do the same for the other Qlik Services?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not applicable
Author

While I cannot answer you question conclusively I can say that when we setup Qlik we had a majority of the services setup to run under the service account.  qlik service account.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response and sorry for the late reply.  I just returned from vacation but will give this a try later today.  Thanks again!