Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using / connecting sense desktop with server

HI All,

This may be an obvious question but I can't find an answer anywhere.

I understand what 'sense desktop' is and I understand what 'sense server' is, but how do the two connect together ?

In qlikview there was a nice simple logic i.e. open 'my file' locally or open 'in server' my file which dictated where the file was you were working with.

Desktop has qvf files but it is not so clear the same way. I understand once a file is 'in server' you can open it within an html web browser, but again how does this relate to desktop ?

So I guess my questions are ...

i) If I create in desktop a qvf file, how do I 'move it' to the server

ii) If I create in desktop a qvf file, the 'upload to cloud beta' seems a new option but this doesnt again seem to go 'to the server', but only several other users of choice ?

iii) How do I open / edit in desktop a file that is 'on the server' or can I only do it as a web browser ?

iv) Does desktop have an 'open in server' equivalent that I am missing somewhere ?

Any help greatly appreciated 🙂

Thanks

Bob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Bob,

Qlik Sense Desktop is not intended to be a development tool, rather than a discovery tool. Qlik Sense allows you to develop server side which has many advantages. However, to your questions:

i) You need to import into the server using the QMC > Apps > Import

ii) The Qlik Cloud is currently beta, and you can use it, but it is a free cloud service, not a Qlik Sense server

iii) You can export apps using the QMC > Apps > Export and use them locally for further development. But you don't need to do that, since you can develop, modify, publish, etc using Qlik sense Server

iv) It does not have an open in server. Qlik Sense Desktop and QlikView Desktop are not the same thing. QlikView Desktop is a full development tool that you need for any QlikView deployment. However, with Qlik Sense, that is no longer a requirement. Qlik Sense client is full JavaScript, Websockets HTML5, therefore to consume Qlik Sense apps you need an HTML5 browser. Qlik Sense Desktop is not the client for Qlik Sense.

Feel free to reach out to me for further info.

Miguel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Bob,

Qlik Sense Desktop is not intended to be a development tool, rather than a discovery tool. Qlik Sense allows you to develop server side which has many advantages. However, to your questions:

i) You need to import into the server using the QMC > Apps > Import

ii) The Qlik Cloud is currently beta, and you can use it, but it is a free cloud service, not a Qlik Sense server

iii) You can export apps using the QMC > Apps > Export and use them locally for further development. But you don't need to do that, since you can develop, modify, publish, etc using Qlik sense Server

iv) It does not have an open in server. Qlik Sense Desktop and QlikView Desktop are not the same thing. QlikView Desktop is a full development tool that you need for any QlikView deployment. However, with Qlik Sense, that is no longer a requirement. Qlik Sense client is full JavaScript, Websockets HTML5, therefore to consume Qlik Sense apps you need an HTML5 browser. Qlik Sense Desktop is not the client for Qlik Sense.

Feel free to reach out to me for further info.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

Thank you for your answer. Can I get you to expand on one final point you made please...

----- So to develop, modify, publish etc. you essentially just direct a web browser to the server ?

Thanks

Bob

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Bob,

Yes, that's what I would do. I totally understand and agree the need for offline, but being able to develop server side for me has several important advantages: centralized security, developers can only see what you define in the QMC, nodes for only development managed by the QMC, version control, reuse of already existing items such as extensions, images, data connections to mention a few.

Plus, full responsive design no matter what device you are using to design, regardless the OS.

Does that make sense?

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Perfect thank you so much  - I could not find this info anywhere ! 🙂