Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using master measures/dimension in formulas

Hi,

I defined some master measures/dimensions and I'd like to use them in other formulas without writing entirely the formula adopted.

One possible way could be using variables but I prefer not using them.

Is it possible in this new Qlik version or we still need to wait for this implementation?

Thanks,

Marc

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Unfortunately we cannot do this just yet - and it is something for consideration, however I don't have an update on this. So - Ivan is correct in regards to this not being possible and Omar is also correct suggesting that defining an expression in a variable - then referencing that variable in another expression is the current work-around. I have opened this feature request and up voted it again.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

24 Replies
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Good  question, it will be useful, but unfortunately it's not possible yet.

Ivan_Bozov
Luminary
Luminary

Hi! You cannot use master items in other expressions, e.g. you cannot reference master measure in set analysis. As you suggest, using a variable is one possible alternative.

vizmind.eu
OmarBenSalem

the whole idea for master measures/dimensions is to prepare everything for end users; so that they can create their own charts without having to know how to create such expressions.

What u're willing to do is far from being the sole reason of master items but rather is the job of variables; to make ur expressions much, much more dynamic.

So, to resume my point: I don't think we should be expecting such a change in future releases.

But, we could always ask mto‌; maybe he has some insights in the matter?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Unfortunately we cannot do this just yet - and it is something for consideration, however I don't have an update on this. So - Ivan is correct in regards to this not being possible and Omar is also correct suggesting that defining an expression in a variable - then referencing that variable in another expression is the current work-around. I have opened this feature request and up voted it again.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Micheal,

thanks for your answer Ok I hope this feaure request would be implemented as soon as possible and now I will continue to use the work-around definining the expressions in variables.

Thanks again,

Marco

ansarikashif2017

Hi Mike, Any update on this feature? Is it available in any release after Feb-2018?
tschogren
Contributor II
Contributor II

Following... this would be incredibly helpful to cut back on having to copy and paste code I already wrote..

pascos88
Creator II
Creator II

Does someone know this function have been implemented or is still not possible? 

Best 

DGO
Contributor III
Contributor III

This would be a great feature. I'm looking forward to it.