cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Waterfall Chart

Hi all, 

I would need to convert the bar chart below to a waterfall chart but i cannot remove the dimension 'Week Number' as the data is split by the dimension. Any suggestions?
dashboard.jpg

6 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

As you will have already found, you can not add a dimension to the native waterfall chart. You may find an extension which allows this, or perhaps an extension that allows you to trellis a chart. I'm not aware of one on either count though.

With native Sense objects the closest you are likely to get is faking it by having stacked bars that you create the waterfall with yourself, with the lower bars being the same colour as the background. The problem with this approach (apart from being really fiddly) is that the values given when you export or hover over bars will be misleading.

How many weeks do you need it to run over? If it is just the last few weeks then you could potentially have a separate object for each week and then use Set Analysis to only have the right week in each object.

Hope that gives you some things to think about.

Cheers,

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Steve,

I have 6 weeks of data and there will be 2 bars each which represents data from 2 different source files.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

So, how does the waterfall rise and fall? Is it that in each week it will go up a bit and then drop a bit, so accumulate over time?

If so, with just twelve data points creating twelve expressions will be the way to go. You will need to have a label for each bar, rather than a label for each week and then a sub-label for each bar.

The expressions will be something like:

sum({<Week={1}>}[Positive Value])

sum({<Week={1}>}[Negative Value])

sum({<Week={2}>}[Positive Value])

sum({<Week={2}>}[Negative Value])

etc.

You will then want a balancing bar at the end, to bring the waterfall back to zero.

The syntax in squiggly brackets is called Set Analysis, and you will find lots of info on it if you Google it.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yup, it will rise/fall according to the difference in amount as compared to the previous week’s bar. How do I create a label for each bar? As the current labels are the 6 week numbers and the last bar(which I do not want to touch)
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

With each expression you can enter a label. Expand the expression on the properties pane and you will see it there. If it is not expanding, or the label is not present, you may be in Chart Assistance mode. You can switch this off above the properties pane (it is usually a good idea to turn this off).

So how many bars will you have in the end, seven or thirteen?

To get the deltas between weeks your expressions will be something like:

sum({<Week={1}>}Value)

sum({<Week={2}>}Value)-sum({<Week={1}>}Value)

sum({<Week={3}>}Value)-sum({<Week={2}>}Value)

Does that get you where you need to be?

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The final product will have 13 bars as shown in the picture above, just that they should be in the form of a waterfall chart. Alright! i will try that later in the day, thanks!