Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fislar20
Contributor II
Contributor II

What does a hyphen equal?

I have a report that returns a "hyphen" when there isn't any data in that timeframe.

My question would be, what does the Hyphen equal when I am composing a formula within an if statement?

10 Replies
MK9885
Master II
Master II

They are nulls for that given value...

Ex:

If you have 5 dimensions and 1 measure, sometimes few of the rows will not show value for your measures but would show '-' as one of the dimensions in that table has value

lcontezini
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

hyphen represents null values.

You can find it with functions like isnull(), len(trim()), or simply comparing like: if(field = "",...

Jesh19
Creator II
Creator II

Can your please share your If condition?

And, also confirm your field names are properly spelled in the condition.

fislar20
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

=if(num(sum($(Transaction_vSetYTD) $(vProfit_True))/sum($(Transaction_vSetYTD)$(vSales)),'#,##0.0%')='','No',Yes')

Jesh19
Creator II
Creator II

what's the output that you're getting from the above expression? Is that a hyphen?

what does the below expressions give you

-> sum($(Transaction_vSetYTD) $(vProfit_True))

-> sum($(Transaction_vSetYTD)$(vSales))

If the above expressions are always giving you some values, then the output of your expression is always 'YES'.

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Seems, You expression not returning Null values, Try this way?

=if(IsNull(num(sum($(Transaction_vSetYTD) $(vProfit_True))/sum($(Transaction_vSetYTD)$(vSales)),'#,##0.0%')),'No',Yes')

Please add me Anil_Babu_Samineni to interact faster when reply back. Speak low think High.

Before develop something, think If placed (The Right information | To the right people | At the Right time | In the Right place | With the Right context)
fislar20
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I appreciate your suggestion, but that doesn't work.  it doesn't show a null value, just the hyphen

gpshow.JPG

fislar20
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

gpshow.JPG

It doesn't always have a value.         First column is CY , second column is PY.     If no sales were in the CY or PY , it returns the  "Hyphen"

Jesh19
Creator II
Creator II

what is your dimension here in this chart?