Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lost_rabbit
Contributor III
Contributor III

Why even use set analysis ?

What's the point of using set analysis since it accepts only Data Model Fields and not Dimensions .

1. I see that almost every case where we need set analysis, it can be replaced by a combination of other functions like aggr(), if() etc. So do we really require set analysis?

2. I have a date field in my data model called "order_date" and dimensions "order_year", "order_week" which are derived from "order_date" field using formula Year(order_date) and Week(order_date) . I can't use these two dimensions in my set expressions. For eg, I can't use these dimensions like this 

=Sum({<order_year={"<=$(=vMaxYear)"}>}Sales) 

because "order_year" being a dimension can't be used and this formula will throw an error.   So how do you handle situations like these and does Set analysis even help when I have my Calendar fields as Dimensions? If so, in what cases? 

Thanks in Advance

@hic @sunny_talwar @swuehl 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

No, you need set analysis.

1. You don't always get the same result using other functions. For example, one would think that

Sum( If(OrderMonth=4 and InvoiceMonth=5, Amount) )
Sum( {<OrderMonth={4}, InvoiceMonth={5}>} Amount) )

would result in the same number, but this is not necessarily true: The If()-function generates a join between the tables that contain OrderMonth, InvoiceMonth, and Amount, and if there is a many-to-many relationship, you may get duplicate records. I.e. the same dollar will be counted several times. I.e. an incorrect result.

The set analysis, on the other hand, does not cause a join. Here the numbers will be correct.

In addition, the set analysis evaluates faster if you have large data amounts.

2. Try
Sum({<order_date.autoCalendar.order_year={"<=$(=vMaxYear)"}>} Sales)

HIC

View solution in original post

5 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

No, you need set analysis.

1. You don't always get the same result using other functions. For example, one would think that

Sum( If(OrderMonth=4 and InvoiceMonth=5, Amount) )
Sum( {<OrderMonth={4}, InvoiceMonth={5}>} Amount) )

would result in the same number, but this is not necessarily true: The If()-function generates a join between the tables that contain OrderMonth, InvoiceMonth, and Amount, and if there is a many-to-many relationship, you may get duplicate records. I.e. the same dollar will be counted several times. I.e. an incorrect result.

The set analysis, on the other hand, does not cause a join. Here the numbers will be correct.

In addition, the set analysis evaluates faster if you have large data amounts.

2. Try
Sum({<order_date.autoCalendar.order_year={"<=$(=vMaxYear)"}>} Sales)

HIC

lost_rabbit
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks a lot for the explanation. It makes sense 

If there are any articles/blogs that explains such things in detail please share. It would be very helpful 

lost_rabbit
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

This formula works 

YEAR is a field in the data model 

Sum({1<YEAR={"$(=$(v_CurrentYear))"}>} Sales )

But this formula doesn't work 

Sum({<order_date.autoCalendar.order_year={"$(=$(v_CurrentYear))"}>} Sales )

dimension order_year created using formula = num(year(DATE))

v_CurrentYear = num(Year(Today()))

Any help on why it is not working and how to deal with it?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can prepare your dimensions as fields in the data model, using a calendar script or the auto-generated Qlik Sense calendar fields Henric was referring to. If you don't want to, try something like

=Sum({<order_date = {"=year(order_date)<=$(=vMaxYear)"}>} Sales) 

(translates to something like: select the values in data model field order_date, where year(order_date) <= vMaxYear)