Qlik Community

New to Qlik Sense

Discussion board where members can get started with Qlik Sense.

Not applicable

basic question regarding lookup associations

I've spent three hours on this so far....so its time to ask for help....

I have 20+ years with databases, SQL, schemas etc - but nothing with Qlik so this is a really basic question.

Here's the problem. In database terms how do I get Qlik to use a lookup table to label the dimensions of my data?

Example:

Table Data - 25 records, maturity_code (value 1-4), other columns etc

Table Lookup - 4 records, maturity_code (value 1-4), Maturity (text description)

So I want to create a simple bar chart that counts how many times each value of maturity_code is found in Data - and labelled using the Maturity text. In my old DB world - that's a SQL join - in Qlik its an association.

So I have an association between data.maturity_code and lookup.maturity_code - so far so good.

If I choose Bar chart:

- dimensions = maturity

- measures = maturity_code

I get four bars labelled with the text from maturity - each with a value of 1. ie Qlik is listing the four text maturity values - and counting them once.....each time they appear in the lookup table.

How do I make Qlik count the number of times each maturity_code appears in the Data table?

I know its simple and I know its obvious and I know I am probably going to get roasted here but I cant see it.......

1 Reply
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: basic question regarding lookup associations

Doh - how long can you look at something before you work out the answer yourself.....all I needed to do was count a different field from the Data table.......sometimes the brain is slow

Community Browser