Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Soh
Contributor
Contributor

how to create a pie chart with 3 columns and count the measures within the 3 columns

Dear all,

How do i create a pie chart with data (A, B, C) in different columns?

Field 1

Field 2Field 3
ABC
ABA
BBA

the desired output is  % of A, B and C in a pie chart. I was browsing around and could not understand and apply them to my scenario. Would appreciate if someone can assist.

A sample excel file is attached for your easy reference.

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
menta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Is not possible for you in script change the load of the table and transpose in only 1 field?

In this case you can count only the field

Or you can use a formula like this

Dimension: =ValueList('A','B','C')

Measure:

if(ValueList('A','B','C')= 'A',Count({<[Field 1]={A}>}[Field 1]) + Count({<[Field 2]={A}>}[Field 2])+Count({<[Field 3]={A}>}[Field 3])

if(ValueList('A','B','C')= 'B',Count({<[Field 1]={B}>}[Field 1]) + Count({<[Field 2]={B}>}[Field 2])+Count({<[Field 3]={B}>}[Field 3])

if(ValueList('A','B','C')= 'C',Count({<[Field 1]={C}>}[Field 1]) + Count({<[Field 2]={C}>}[Field 2])+Count({<[Field 3]={C}>}[Field 3])

)

)

)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
GregoireVG
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello Soh,

You need to do a CrossTable in the loading script to transform your 3 differents fields in 1.

Cross.PNG

From there, you can easily do a pie chart to get the % of A, B and C

menta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Is not possible for you in script change the load of the table and transpose in only 1 field?

In this case you can count only the field

Or you can use a formula like this

Dimension: =ValueList('A','B','C')

Measure:

if(ValueList('A','B','C')= 'A',Count({<[Field 1]={A}>}[Field 1]) + Count({<[Field 2]={A}>}[Field 2])+Count({<[Field 3]={A}>}[Field 3])

if(ValueList('A','B','C')= 'B',Count({<[Field 1]={B}>}[Field 1]) + Count({<[Field 2]={B}>}[Field 2])+Count({<[Field 3]={B}>}[Field 3])

if(ValueList('A','B','C')= 'C',Count({<[Field 1]={C}>}[Field 1]) + Count({<[Field 2]={C}>}[Field 2])+Count({<[Field 3]={C}>}[Field 3])

)

)

)

Soh
Contributor
Contributor
Author

@menta 

the formula works for the earlier data set with 3 fields. So what happens if I have more than 3 fields or less than 3 fields? I tried this formula (amended from your version) for 2 fields (see attached excel) and my pie chart data is wrong. A should totalled 8, B = 4 and C = 4 but with the formula below, my pie chart shows A:16, B:8, B:8 .

Field 1Field 2
AA
AC
BA
BA
AA
CA
CB
CB

if(ValueList('A','B','C')= 'A',Count({<[Field 1]={A}>}[Field 1]) + Count({<[Field 2]={A}>}[Field 2])

if(ValueList('A','B','C')= 'B',Count({<[Field 1]={B}>}[Field 1]) + Count({<[Field 2]={B}>}[Field 2])

if(ValueList('A','B','C')= 'C',Count({<[Field 1]={C}>}[Field 1]) + Count({<[Field 2]={C}>}[Field 2])

)

)

)

please advise what went wrong in the formula above. many thanks.

@GregoireVG 

'Creating a CrossTable in the loading script to transform 3 differents fields in 1' is not preferred as the raw data consists of responses (20 questions & hence many columns of data) from a survey  and I need the visualisation to tag the responses to the first few columns (student type, year of study & school). Many thanks for the idea still.