Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
satyaban
Contributor III
Contributor III

how to use count expression inside Max function ?

Thank you
It solved half of my problems.

For example one variable vA = 10 , vB = 30 , vC = count(EmpID) these three variables are created using  create new variable option .

Now If I will print it is showing $(vC) = 45 and is in numeric format(checked by isNum() option )

but  Max(valueList( $(vA) ,$(vB) ,$(vC) )) does not give any solution in chart expression while

Max(valueList( $(vA) ,$(vB) )) give  30 as max value in same chart expression. What I got to know using count() inside Max () might be the issue seems though.

Kindly suggest how to achieve same as $(vC) = count(EmpID) and I need 2nd max of these three variables

Max(valueList( $(vA) ,$(vB) ,$(vC) ),2) but no luck .

as count is present inside $(vC) , because of same Max () might not work so how to over-ride such scenario as I need comparison . 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Yes, rangemax() is the right function to look for. However, if you need 2nd max from list of values - rangemax() could not help there directly. In such case (ranked value) - your (OP) approach of putting these values in Valuelist() and putting max() outside with rank parameter is a perfect fit. But you are getting an nested aggregation error; for that you could just put '=' sign before your expression in variable definition - which would make the expression evaluation before it is referred in other expression - and you are done!

OR

If you can't change (adding '=' before it) variable definition, you could force evaluate these variables before hand in expression using double dollar expansion like

Max(valueList( $(=$(vA)) ,$(=$(vB)) ,$(=$(vC)) ),2)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
agigliotti
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

you can't use nested aggregation.
could you provide a sample app to look at?

mayuringale25
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi @satyaban 

Try this 

max( aggr( count([column_name]), TableDimension))

Thanks and Regards
Mayur Ingale
javiersassen
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Yes, rangemax() is the right function to look for. However, if you need 2nd max from list of values - rangemax() could not help there directly. In such case (ranked value) - your (OP) approach of putting these values in Valuelist() and putting max() outside with rank parameter is a perfect fit. But you are getting an nested aggregation error; for that you could just put '=' sign before your expression in variable definition - which would make the expression evaluation before it is referred in other expression - and you are done!

OR

If you can't change (adding '=' before it) variable definition, you could force evaluate these variables before hand in expression using double dollar expansion like

Max(valueList( $(=$(vA)) ,$(=$(vB)) ,$(=$(vC)) ),2)

satyaban
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

@tresesco  Thank you 
finally it worked .