cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dreweezy
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

integrate excel spreadsheet with already configured database

I am trying to add in some extra data  to my current data connections (which is a sql database). The extra data is an excel spreadsheet that has a column to associate values with the one thats currently in my database. What is the best way to do this? My assumption is doing this through the script but not too sure on how to associate the fields or loading in the data through the editor. Thank you.

Labels (2)
4 Replies
R_Kaymakchiev
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

if the fields have the exact same name, Qlik should create an association between them automatically. 

If this is not the case, you can simply you can create associations trough the Data manager ( you can select it from the top left corner menu )

Hope this helps.  

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If the extra data is just some enrichment of the data loaded from the database (extra fields for the existing rows), then you may want to load them in a separate table (letting Qlik take care of the association), or join them to the existing table during load. If the extra data is new data records, then you would be better off concatenating the data. Its hard to be more specific without a better understanding of your data sources and data model.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
dreweezy
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thanks for your answer. Just to break it down a bit more to get a better insight from you - I currently already have an app that is linked to my database. Now, I have a separate excel spreadsheet that has the same field (Year) that I'd like to bring in to go against the data already inside my app. This spreadsheet includes separate columns/fields that are not currently residing in the database. I hope this makes more sense.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Its hard to be more specific than my earlier post without more information about your data. Different columns do not preclude concatenation, but if they mean the same thing as an existing field and you decide to concatenate (as opposed to join or replace), then you might want to alias the new fields to match the existing  field(s) for the concatenation.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein