cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QlikBeginner1
Creator
Creator

multiple if statement to generate new column

IF(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy = 'IPS' AND IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc) OR ARCPrimaryTradeDesc = '-',IPSTrade,ARCPrimaryTradeDesc),
IF(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy = 'IMACS' AND IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc) OR ARCPrimaryTradeDesc = '-',IMACSTRADE, ARCPrimaryTradeDesc) as Trade

Hi,

These two expressions work seperately when I add them into the front end, I am trying to use both if statements to generate the Trade column, however this is giving me null values, how should the syntax be?

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
QlikBeginner1
Creator
Creator
Author

@Or  Thank you so much for assisting, silly enough the reason why it was missing when in the load editor was because I was LEFT joining, when I just joined the trades was populating. Thank you for your time and effort to helping me resolve the issue 🙂

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

What formula are you using to try and generate the Trade column? Obviously, you can't use two separate formulas to generate one column, so perhaps you've reworked it into one formula?

QlikBeginner1
Creator
Creator
Author

If(Match(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy, 'IPS' AND IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc)), IPSTrade,
IF(MATCH(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy,'IMACS' AND IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc)),IMACSTRADE,ARCPrimaryTradeDesc)) as Trade

I have also tried this but still showing NULL values 

QlikBeginner1
Creator
Creator
Author

QlikBeginner1_0-1616598892953.png

Or
MVP
MVP

Perhaps:

IF(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy = 'IPS' AND IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc) OR ARCPrimaryTradeDesc = '-',IPSTrade,
IF(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy = 'IMACS' AND IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc) OR ARCPrimaryTradeDesc = '-',IMACSTRADE, ARCPrimaryTradeDesc)) as Trade

QlikBeginner1
Creator
Creator
Author

Still returns NULL values! 

Its a bit messy as I am using excel files to create a Trade field before I then try this IF statement,  IMACSTRADE and IPSTRADE have been generated by if statement to compare two columns , one from a excel file and one from a SQL table, and return the column which does not have a NULL value. I then am concatinating a few tables as there are different sources into one main table, and this allows to merge the two source trades together before they are concatinated into one final table, i hope that makes sense. 

I have all others working but just the syntax for these two if statements, else to return ARCPrimaryTradeDesc, I have tried a few methods but doesnt seem to return any values, the screenshot I pasted shows the values that should appear on the left of the trade column which has a NULL value

Or
MVP
MVP

In the screen capture, the underlying data used to determine the Trade isn't included, so unfortunately that doesn't help in trying to write a formula...

One thing I would probably do real quick is parenthesize the conditions, just to make sure they're being read in the right order. I think:

IF(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy = 'IPS' AND (IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc) OR ARCPrimaryTradeDesc = '-'),IPSTrade,
IF(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy = 'IMACS' AND (IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc) OR ARCPrimaryTradeDesc = '-'),IMACSTRADE, ARCPrimaryTradeDesc)) as Trade

QlikBeginner1
Creator
Creator
Author

QlikBeginner1_0-1616600380095.png

I now have it working in the front end, however when I try to use that same expression in the back end and name it as 'Trade', it gives null values, however both expressions are the same?

If(Match(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy, 'IPS') AND IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc) OR ARCPrimaryTradeDesc = '-', IPSTrade,
IF(MATCH(ARCSourceSystemNamePolicy,'IMACS') AND IsNull(ARCPrimaryTradeDesc) OR ARCPrimaryTradeDesc = '-',IMACSTRADE,ARCPrimaryTradeDesc)) as Trade

Or
MVP
MVP

Would you be able to provide a small set of sample data (in Excel / inline format so it can be reloaded locally)?

QlikBeginner1
Creator
Creator
Author

@Or  Thank you so much for assisting, silly enough the reason why it was missing when in the load editor was because I was LEFT joining, when I just joined the trades was populating. Thank you for your time and effort to helping me resolve the issue 🙂