Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

qlik sense responsive

Hi,

I design my visualizations on a 1920x1080 resolution, and when i change in a lower resolution, for example 1280x768, all the legends disappear. I though that Qlik sense is responsive and the visualization is adapted to any resolution? Could someone help me on that?

many thanks

ps: i am using v2.0.2 build 55

18 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Chi,

this is part of the "responsive design" although this makes no sense in most cases. What does a bar chart (or other) say without any label?

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Chi,

Ralf is correct, in that responsive design will adjust charts and menu properties for the most optimal and viewing experience, but there is only so much real estate that can be used. However, I am using Firefox and along with the Web Developer Tool - Responsive Design View - I was able to use 3 bar charts in a 1280x720 resolution - I adjusted the legend to display in different locations - (i am using the gradient legend here) - it does display in this resolution.

To test this in Firefox  - Tools->Web Developer->Responsive Design View

here is an example where the legend is on the right and I am coloring by dimension - note the scroll arrow that allows me to page down in the legend.

Please attach your screen shot - or sample .qvf (app) - so we can further help you.

I attached mine just in case - to make sure it works the same on your machine.

Please copy .qvf file to your C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps and refresh Qlik Sense Desktop with F5

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Very often we get almost meaningless charts w/o labels although there would be space for 3 to 4 characters:

SenseBar01.PNG

SenseBar02.PNG

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Hi Ralf you should be able to display labels even if the long values are obfuscated.  Looks a similar resolution to yours.

Note you can also expand the chart to full screen if required that makes visible content restricted by the responsive design.

Finally you can always hover over the data point or click on it to provide context.  It took our user community a little time to get used to it but they are overall pretty positive with the responsive layout.

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Andy,

what I meant is that the responsive design should need an overhaul to omit this kind of label-less visuals. In my case I hav a lot of charts and other UI objects and even on a small change of resolution the labels disappear for all charts. And, there is still plenty of space to show them but it doesn't. Also, it's switching to late to bring them back on resize or it prefers to show a too large ribbon instead..

A need for hovering or maximizing is a bad user experience..

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Adding Patrik to the conversation to make him aware and possibly comment. plu‌.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Agree the chart should always be meaningful and what gets dropped should be priorities some how to ensure the chart remains usable in all viewports,

Disagree on the hover point as an equally bad experience could be a load of data point values displayed in a small window.  I like how Sense spreads out and generally presents a nice visualisation to consume.

With View we have so much control over the visualisation I sometimes find it hard to step back and let/accept Sense make those decisions for me.  I've often thought why's it hiding that now but I work within those constraints until new features come along.

Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

I agree that some of these charts that Andy and Ralf showed can be improved. Would it be possible to get one of these apps and the screen resolutions so I can check how we evaluate the responsive use in the charts?

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Don't get me wrong! Hover is a nice and important feature. But if it's the only way to get the context it's awkward..

Astrato.io Head of R&D