First I was getting errors regarding missing attributes in the archived log files. So I move all of the archived log files (as per some other threads.) Now I'm getting an error like that mentioned here (see snippet below)
I've tried reading through what people have explained above
# We are using default ports for SSL 443
# Our default virtual proxy uses windows authentication
# I don't really understand what is meant by "The account used as the admin during the installation was accidentally removed when the user directory connector updated." But I don't think that is the case with us either
I get that the problem is probably the connector being unable to get access. Is there a way to test just that connection and/or see a better log of what went wrong with it?
2017-04-25 16:07:56 2024 CALL QRS
2017-04-25 16:07:56 2025
2017-04-25 16:07:56 1031 LET NumRowsQRS = 0
2017-04-25 16:07:56 1032 SET QRS_RowCounts = 'QRS Row Counts: '
2017-04-25 16:07:56 1034 For each endpoint in 'qrs_user','qrs_app','qrs_appobject','qrs_task'
This Worked for me and l also included in the URL connection strings for qrs_* DataConnections an option fo skip SSL selection server certificate verification by using, skipServerCertificateValidation=true; Also making sure that Qlik Sense Services use a local user with administrative privileges preferably one used for the initial installation of QlikSense. It is important to make sure that the all qrs_* users are set up with appropriate privileges and that the Qlik Sense Service User is not set as inactive, removed externally or blocked in the QMC