cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dreweezy
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

set expression based on filter pane selection

Hello, I have a few filters in my dashboard and would like for my gauge chart to change depending on one specific filter pane I have called "ClientID". My ClientID filter pane only has 2 values which is CompanyA and CompanyB. 

The gauge has the expression:

if({<[ClientID] = {"CompanyA"}>} (Sum([Approved Budget]) / sum[Total Budget]))

For some reason I'm having trouble having this pass in qlik sense. Any thoughts? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Try this:

Sum({<[ClientID] = {"CompanyA"}>} [Approved Budget]) / sum({<[ClientID] = {"CompanyA"}>} [Total Budget])

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Try this:

Sum({<[ClientID] = {"CompanyA"}>} [Approved Budget]) / sum({<[ClientID] = {"CompanyA"}>} [Total Budget])

dreweezy
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

thank you this one does work, but how do I go about implementing another expression for CompanyB? Would an if statement suffice in this situation?

Vegar
MVP
MVP

I'm not really sure what you are asking for? Is ClientID associated with the rest of your data or is it just a data island table used for selecting layout stuff. If so then you could do like this

if([ClientID] = "CompanyA",
Sum([Approved Budget]) / sum([Total Budget]),
Sum(whatYouWant) / sum(Total what you want)
)

dreweezy
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Since my filter pane has 2 values only - CompanyA and CompanyB how do I ensure in my expression that it will fetch the correct numbers when a user selects a value from the filter pane? CompanyA will populate given the syntax you just helped with. Now if a user selects CompanyB, how would I incorporate this into my expression? I tried the if statement you have provided but no luck on my end. I assume I don't need to explicitly tell qlik on the ,else statement that it is pertaining to CompanyB since I've already established CompanyA and all that is left is CompanyB. Thanks.

if([ClientID] = "CompanyA",
Sum([Approved Budget]) / sum([Total Budget]), 
Sum([Approved Budget]) / sum([Total Budget])
)

Vegar
MVP
MVP

Hos is your data model?
Could it be simplified like this?

Load * inline [
ClientID, Period,Approved Budget, Total Budget
CompanyA, 2019-04,1000,1200
CompanyB, 2019-04,2000,2200
CompanyA, 2019-03,1100,1300
]
Where
match(ClientID, 'CompanyA', 'CompanyB') > 0 //You only have CompanyA and CompanyB in your data?
;

Is it the dimension ClientID that is used in the filter pane?

dreweezy
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

I'd like to stay away from making any changes in the script.

This is what my data looks like.

Capture.PNG

Upon selecting either CompanyA and/or CompanyB on the filter pane I'd like for the gauge to change depending on the value selected in the ClientID filter pane. I am able to derive either CompanyA or CompanyB but once I add in the expression using an IF statement I am having some trouble producing/displaying any results. 

I need my syntax to say once someone selects CompanyA in the filter, give me the [Approved Budget] / [Total Budget] and else give me CompanyB [Approved Budget] / [Total Budget]. 

Hope this makes more sense.

if( ( [ClientID] = "CompanyA", [Approved Budget]/[Total Budget] ),

if ( [ClientID] = "CompanyB", [Approved Budget]/[Total Budget] )
)

Vegar
MVP
MVP

Your company A and B expressions are identical. Do you need to specify company at all in your expression?

The natural behavior of Qlik Sense is that selecting a value filters the expression with that selection.
When selecting a company will automatically give you the Sum([Approved Budget]) / sum([Total Budget]) for that company selection. If you have no selection or both companies selected you will get the Sum([Approved Budget]) / sum([Total Budget]) for both companies.
dreweezy
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

You're absolutely correct. I was definitely overthinking this and everything is working as expected from some preliminary data validation. Thank you all being patient with me.

Vegar
MVP
MVP

I've been there. Sometimes it is good tget get a set of fresh eyes to look at what you're doing.
-Vegar