Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
124psu
Creator II
Creator II

tabbed container extension does not take in filters?

I am using the tabbed container extension and have 4 tabs with their respective master item attached. One thing I noticed - selecting filters from the filter pane does absolutely nothing to the graphs in the tabbed container? Is there a workaround for this? We have many filter options for our users to be able to see the granularity of the data, and would be best to be able to update those filters onto the graphs on the tabbed container. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lblumenfeld
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Yes. That is the issue. There is a solution.

Let's take an example

Sum({< Product={"A","B","C","D"} >} Sales)

That says "Sum the Sales field where Product = A or B or C or D." This also means that if any filters are applied to the Product field then the set analysis replaces that filter with the expression above. That's the issue you're describing.

Here's the solution...

Sum({< Product*={"A","B","C","D"} >} Sales)

Note the use of *= in the above. This is a special syntax that means "the intersection of what is currently selected and the set analysis expression. So, in your case, if the user filtered to only "A" then the intersection of "A","B","C","D" and "A" would be "A", giving you what you want to see.

This set syntax is very powerful. There are even operators for Union (+), exclusion (-) and others.

I hope this helps. Please like and accept the solution if it does.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
lblumenfeld
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

The filters should work. Are you sure that the master items (or the container) do not use and alternate state? Are there any set analysis expressions in any of the charts that could be ignoring the filters?

124psu
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Yes, I do have set analysis in my measures. Is that what is causing the issue? I had to parse out our measure using the set analysis to explicitly say, where product = A, B, C, D, etc. in order to show 5 lines on a graph. I was hoping if someone were to filter on product A, the user will only see one line (A) and not all 5. If set analysis is causing this issue.. is there a workaround on how to apply filters on containers?

Thank you!

lblumenfeld
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Yes. That is the issue. There is a solution.

Let's take an example

Sum({< Product={"A","B","C","D"} >} Sales)

That says "Sum the Sales field where Product = A or B or C or D." This also means that if any filters are applied to the Product field then the set analysis replaces that filter with the expression above. That's the issue you're describing.

Here's the solution...

Sum({< Product*={"A","B","C","D"} >} Sales)

Note the use of *= in the above. This is a special syntax that means "the intersection of what is currently selected and the set analysis expression. So, in your case, if the user filtered to only "A" then the intersection of "A","B","C","D" and "A" would be "A", giving you what you want to see.

This set syntax is very powerful. There are even operators for Union (+), exclusion (-) and others.

I hope this helps. Please like and accept the solution if it does.

124psu
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Awesome, that is very good to know. This worked like a charm.

Thanks very much.

124psu
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Lblumenfled,

One thing I noticed when using your method is that the lines on my graphs get pushed down. So if I have A selected - B, C, D, will be pushed down to the bottom and show the value as 0, which is not incorrect but is there a way to make it disappear altogether?Capture.PNG

Whenever I select a fitler value, it will give me that value, but every other line's value will be 0. This is correct but it would be ideal to only display what a user has selected in the filter pane. Hoping this makes sense. Just wondering if there is a way to overcome this issue. Thanks again.

pankaj_jain
Contributor
Contributor

I was facing similar problem, where I needed to display all records with Order Date less than the manually entered vDateInput. However, after using the set analysis to apply this filter, the selections from column header stopped having any effect on the resulting records. Selections/filters on other fields were working normally. Above solution to add * worked for me as well.

Thanks a lot for sharing this solution and clear description!