Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kohli
Creator II
Creator II

what is the Advantages of custom properties in Qliksense Server?

Iam new to Qliksense server, what is the Advantages of custom properties in Qliksense Server?

8 Replies
siddharth_s3
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

One best example I can give you is access management. For us, it is completely managed with custom properties.

Here's an example:

1) Create a custom property probably with names of streams.

2) Create security rules which say that the user having the custom rule will have access to the stream

3) Tag the user to the custom property and bam! The user now has access to the stream. It's cakewalk really.

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

You can also hide/show sheets pretty easily with custom properties. You do have to modify the default stream rules though.

-Teemu

siddharth_s3
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Ah! How do you do it Teemu? Can you give me brief steps?

teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

This is how we do it at the moment:

• Create a new custom property called CUSTOM_AppHasSheetRestrictions and give it a possible value of "Yes". You can also add "No" but it's not needed. Resource types should be Apps.
  • Link the property with each app that has sheet restrictions and use the value "Yes".
  • Create a new custom property for each app that has restrictions. Name the properties something like CUSTOM_AppName_AllowedSheets and list each sheet name in the property. So if your app has sheets called Sheet1 and Sheet2, add those values to the property. You can also add "All" as an extra value for admins etc. Resource types should be Users.
  • Link the properties with users and select values that correspond to the sheets the user should have access to. Remember to do this per app (=per custom property).
  • Change the default Stream security rule to :

(
resource.resourcetype = "App"
and resource.stream.HasPrivilege("read")
)

or ((resource.resourcetype = "App.Object"
and resource.published ="true"
and resource.objectType != "app_appscript"
and resource.objectType != "loadmodel"
and resource.app.stream.HasPrivilege("read")
and resource.app.@CUSTOM_AppHasSheetRestrictions !="Yes"
))

• Create a new security rule for each app with sheet restrictions and name them anything you want. The contents of the rule should be:

(resource.objecttype!="sheet"
and resource.objectType != "app_appscript"
and resource.objectType != "loadmodel")
or
(resource.resourcetype = "App.Object"
and resource.published ="true"
and resource.objectType ="sheet"
and resource.app.stream.HasPrivilege("read")
and resource.app.@CUSTOM_AppHasSheetRestrictions = "Yes"
and resource.app.name = "NAME OF YOUR APP HERE"
and (user.@CUSTOM_AppName_AllowedSheets = resource.name
or
user.@CUSTOM_AppName_AllowedSheets = "All"
))

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. I'm sure there are better ways to do this but it should get you started at least.

-Teemu

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

siddharth_s3
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Thanks Teemu

l_smythe80
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi teempi

thanks for the great post, i was wondering using your logic, could i assign say a group (usergroup1) which would automatically be able to see Stream 1, app 1, sheet 1, and then usergroup2 see stream 1 app 2 sheet 2,3,4

im getting stuck and would appreciate any support what so ever

thanks

lee

Anushka
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Here I am attaching a link of the video in which you can check how you will hide some apps from a specific users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feSaaJZ7Jco&t=1s