Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

why isn't my kml working?

Hi, I'm very new to qlik sense so be kind to me

I've got a kml but when i add it to qlik sense I get this screen:

Knipsel2.JPG

very empty,right? Could anyone tell me what goes wrong? I've attached the kml, it's a polygon file containing the statistical sectors in the province of Antwerp in Belgium, and it works perfectly in google earth.

ps sorry if this is a double post, I've hit sent but can't find my first try to post this question anywhere.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vyacheslavg
Contributor III
Contributor III

I checked in various systems, not only Qlik, and could not open it anywhere, except Google Earth.

Maybe Google Earth has the parser, which ignores some mistakes and continue read what is good, while other systems just ignore this kml facing the error.

Please check this thread, also related to Belgium kmls Cannot load a kml file in Sense | Qlik Community‌ for some insight.

If you have list of cities, which are administrative centers in this province, I can get you the coordinates of it (so called geocoding).

I've found that point maps work much better and more visually appeling than polygon ones.

Also you can find some beautiful mapping extensions on the branch.qlik, based on Google maps or ESRI or Openstreetmap

Check this cool demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbBanVtwwGo

this is very easy to reproduce in QS.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Marloes,

I tried loading the same file, and I also got an empty screen. Something must be missing or different in the structure of this file, but I doubt if any of us can determine exactly what's wrong.

I'd try to look for an alternative KML file with the same information - typically, there are many alternative sources of the same geographical data.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik skills with my book QlikView Your Business: An Expert Guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

OmarBenSalem

Same here.

And even in QlikView, it's not loading

vyacheslavg
Contributor III
Contributor III

I checked in various systems, not only Qlik, and could not open it anywhere, except Google Earth.

Maybe Google Earth has the parser, which ignores some mistakes and continue read what is good, while other systems just ignore this kml facing the error.

Please check this thread, also related to Belgium kmls Cannot load a kml file in Sense | Qlik Community‌ for some insight.

If you have list of cities, which are administrative centers in this province, I can get you the coordinates of it (so called geocoding).

I've found that point maps work much better and more visually appeling than polygon ones.

Also you can find some beautiful mapping extensions on the branch.qlik, based on Google maps or ESRI or Openstreetmap

Check this cool demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbBanVtwwGo

this is very easy to reproduce in QS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the fast and clear answers. Will try to export my shape to kml with QGIS, I suppose something goes wrong when i change the KMZ i get out of ArcGIS to KML with google earth.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

And yes, it worked by going trough QGIS! Thank you so much for the tip!