Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomhovens
Contributor II
Contributor II

.xlsb ODBC connection QlikSense

Dear Qliksensers,

I created an ODBC connection to a .xlsb (Excel Binary) but it didn't show any tables/workbooks. What did i do wrong?

10 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Tom.

Can you provide more information. What is a QLSB file for? I searched google and could not find that extension.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
tomhovens
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Sorry XLSB (Excel Binary File)

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Tom - I put a few feelers out. I tried this with a VERY simple .xlsb file attached in this thread and it worked - can you give it a try? Note I provided all the screen shots of the ODBC driver I am using. it may be something causing it to fail like the VB script that might be embedded in it. A good test would be to ALSO try in with the ODBC driver in Excel as well and see what happens - just to see if any other errors may be generated.

8-29-2016 2-21-52 PM.png

8-29-2016 2-24-30 PM.png

8-29-2016 2-21-59 PM.png

8-29-2016 2-20-09 PM.png

8-29-2016 2-20-27 PM.png

8-29-2016 2-29-35 PM.png

8-29-2016 2-30-31 PM.png

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
tomhovens
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Mike,

The only difference is the version of the driver (14.00.7010.1000). I can select the ODBC in QlikSense but it doesn't show any columns. I can select the workbook.

In Excel I am not able to select the ODBC

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Tom,

I am not sure what happened, I apologize - but in my previous reply - I thought I made mention of trying the attached file that I created as a sample but I don't see it - it did not post. Please try the attached file and let me know what happens. At this point it seems to be related to the driver or something in the file that is preventing this from displaying in Qlik Sense. In Excel - you need to use the Query option as in the screen shot to select the specific ODBC driver.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
tomhovens
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Michael

These are my settings of your enclosed xlsb file. Sorry my laptop is in Dutch

QLSB1.png

This is the driver I use

QLSB2.png

In Qlik Sense

QLSB3.png

Data load and Preview, note that my preview is always blank with ODBC

QLSB4.png

In Excel I created the ODBC connection. But I dont have any tables or whatever

QLSB5.png

Not applicable

Hi Tom,

I don't understand why do you need to create an ODBC connection for XLBS file, Please drag and drop it on qlik sense it will automatically create an connection with the same directory or you may tell me what is the need of that connection hat you are trying to create ?

Lets say you have created an connection then go to 64-BIT Administrator Tools and create a new connection and there is a option by which you can test the connection , try it as same Michael stated above .

tomhovens
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

HI Rohit,

Yes I can drag and drop but only XLSX instead of XLSB

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Thanks for your contribution Rohit - just for clarity - the reason Tom is using ODBC is because it is an Excel Binary file - .xlsb - as you can see in the screen shot below (dragging to data load area)- this is not a natively supported FILE format (like .xls and xlsx) )for Qlik Sense, so ODBC is necessary:

Tom - possibly update the ODBC driver to 15.X? Also make sure you are using Qlik Sense 3.0.1 - once we get all the versions matching perhaps we can troubleshoot more.

In regards to Excel - I believe you need to define a table space in the spreadsheet in order for that to work:

9-6-2016 9-08-25 AM.png

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik