Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Adding Alteryx to Qlikview

Hi, I am neither new nor experienced in Qlikview. Just so-so

A friend endorsed about alteryx to the company, and I am to review it.

They mentioned to me alteryx is helping in data blending and predictive analysis.

But Qlik can also do that, nay?

We can combine tables/spreadsheets and use smart connections in Qlik, and if we needed to just do some pivoting or vlookups in excel.

Qlik also has predictive as in forecasting and what ifs.

So one simple question with many answers,

What is in alteryx that can help me with Qlikview.

Or in the other way around, what is in alteryx that is not in qlikview and vice-versa.

Please help me answer these questions. I also read several white paper regarding how Alteryx and Qlik are perfect match, but still could not get how Alteryx can add to Qlikview. (It is also an assignment from the management to get this answer )

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for the replies

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sintyadi,

I have been using both Alteryx and Qlikview for about a year now, and here are some of my thoughts:

Alteryx is more of a data analytics tool than a data visualization tool, so the reporting functions in Alteryx are not very good. Qlikview is much better on the reporting and presentation of data. However, Alteryx is great at bringing different data sets together, even if the data is not in a table format. I use it to cleanse and analyze the underlying data before presenting in Qlik. Having too many formulas and filters in Qlikview tends to slow the application down, so most of the analysis I do is in Alteryx.

In summary, I think it depends on the type of data and the volume of data you want to analyze. If the data set is smaller and and doesn't require much cleansing, then you probably don't need Alteryx. However, if you are working with millions of lines of data or various sources of data, I think Alteryx is worth looking into.

Hope this helps,

Liz

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

One specific - Alteryx is superb at converting Crosstab-style data to database format for much easier handling in QlikView.

For example, an Excel Forecast file with part-numbers in column A and, say, 26 weeks of weekly forecast values from column B onward can easily be converted to database format in a ,.QVX file for consumption by QlikView.

Moreover, the weekly headings are read as 'Name', and when the specific headings change with new weekly files, or if columns are added or deleted, no problem.  Just re-run the Alteryx workflow and Reload the .QVX file.

Not sure if this is a big deal to others, but it solves so many problems that I was previously struggling with.

Steven

samuel_to
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Elizabeth,

Can you tell more about the integration between Alteryx and Qlik ?

How do you trigger the qlik process in Alteryx?

Thanks and Regards,

Samuel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Elizabeth - I realize that this years too late, but here's my input.

You can absolutely use Qlik alone to pull data from multiple sources, correct and align table heading differences, do conversions or parsing on data-time stamps, create linked tables, etc.

However, this is achieved in Qlik by scripting, and a someone's lengthy script can be quite individual and may be a challenge for someone else to manage if they have to modify it, etc.  In Alteryx, it's all achieved by very visible, drag & drop workflow tools.

Also, Altery's final output is a highly optimized ,qvx file, and that allows Qlik to be super efficient, and to handle even larger volumes of data at lightning speed.

I'm a huge fan of the Alteryx/Qlik combination.