cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MEJ
Contributor III
Contributor III

Alter data in QVD file

I am using QVD files regularly to save load time, and space, instead of using Excel files (my main source of data for this specific QV application). 

However, in Excel, it is possible of course to amend and alter data if there are errors in the database. When a QVD file is created, is it possible to overwrite certain data for a specific field easily?

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

No, it's not possible in this way. A qvd includes a single data-table with binary pointer which are linked to symbol-tables (for each field one) and therefore it could be only changed within the load-script and not by simply overwriting anything (you could of course by opening the qvd within an editor like notepad++ but it won't be easier - rather the opposite).

- Marcus

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could look if tools like Q-Eye or the EasyQlik QViewer might be suitable respectively similar enough to the filter and copy & paste feature in excel for such a task (I never tried to change a qvd with them). If not you could of course just transform the data by loading them - the task itself will be logically quite the same to excel - you just need to write the various adjustments within the script ...

- Marcus

MEJ
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks,

I would prefer not to change the load script as I create one QVD file per day (only weekdays with Today () as the file name, and then using load filename with wildcards. I feel that would be too complicated to create a specific script for one specific day, as the load script is only one line.

I can probably recreate that specific file manually by exporting it to Excel, and reloading it from another separate application, generating a new file with a new name with a past date's file name. Was just curious if there was an easy way of find and replace a specific value in a field in a QVD file. If it was an Excel file, I could just open the file and replace that field with another value in 30 seconds.

marcus_sommer

It will depend on your data-quality how complex such a script might be but if you don't want to go (daily) into your data to check them and apply all appropriate cleaning you need to take the efforts to write something which does the job for you.

- Marcus

MEJ
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

At the moment it is not a huge problem, and I can probably live with having a few QVDs/days missing here and there. Just hoping there was a simple solution to amend data in a QVD file.

marcus_sommer

No, it's not possible in this way. A qvd includes a single data-table with binary pointer which are linked to symbol-tables (for each field one) and therefore it could be only changed within the load-script and not by simply overwriting anything (you could of course by opening the qvd within an editor like notepad++ but it won't be easier - rather the opposite).

- Marcus