Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Best Practices: Number of Sheets and Print PDF file

What is the maximum number of sheets recommended to manage the navigation through the data contained in association model? (4 tables of about 30 million lines for each one).

I'm using (not a my idea) 55 sheets and the number will continue to increase. (Each sheet contains about 2/3 tables and graphs and I use different functions, such as "mid", "sum" and set analysis expressions).

When I try to print all 55 sheets and to generate the PDF file, this process is very slow (about 10 minutes) and some PDF pages are empty (render problem).

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

Why do you want to print all 55 sheets in PDF? It sounds not very useful. Further I don't think that's very slow - it meant 55 PDF's in about 600 seconds makes round about 10/11 seconds per PDF to render and store them - even with small data and only a few and simple objects is this not bad and it depends not only on qlik else on the used printer, the OS and your network/storage.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

This type of printing is a customer's request. I have to offer the ability to simultaneously export all pages or print them directly. Assuming that within these there are objects and functions that make heavy the report, is it correct to use a large number of sheets so?

marcus_sommer

I think there are too much sheets - how do you and your users know which sight is in which sheet and in which object? I could imagine that a split into several applications each with a focus to a certain area and/or granularity might be more suitable for the usability and could also improve the overall performance by adjusting the datamodel and the number of records appropriate.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thank you so much for your advice; I proposed this solution in the past but I was not allowed. I have to use a single application (wrong choice of course).

Could you advise me how I could improve in general the performance of my application? What is good practice to avoid when dealing with a large number of data and objects / sheets?

Having such a large number of sheets, as mentioned earlier, I have some problem to print all them simultaneously.

Printing all the sheets corresponds to the worst case, because I  offer the user to select which sheets can print using a menu.

Has the use of functions such as "mid", "Sum", "count", and other expressions made through "SET ANALYSIS" a negative effect on the report navigation performance? (Especially in the case where the number of sheets to be used it is high).

marcus_sommer

I assume that the reason for this will be the attempt to save money by using DocumentCAL's instead of NamedCAL's by pressing (nearly) everything into a single application ...

The first thing by considering performance optimizations is to look on the datamodel and if all fields will be needed. Quite helpful is here the document analyzer: Document Analyzer V3.2 Update.

Further transferring (parts of) calculations into the script, using from calculation- and/or visibility-conditions within the objects respectively the dimensions/expressions and that the same expressions are really the same - for example: sum(Value) <> SUM(Value) The QlikView Cache - will improve the performance.

- Marcus