Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can Anybody Help me on Charts problems?

Hi experts,

I'm fresher on designing the dashboard part in qlikview.

Here I have several charts and graphs, and they all have some problems.

1. Can anybody help me to figure out: the deficiency of these graphs.

2. How to improve it in qlikview?

I'm waiting for your helping hands! Very appreciate!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Stacy,

You may want to consider a horizontal bar chart instead of a pie chart.

Bar.jpg

For me pie charts quickly get difficult to make sense of when the number of pie slices gets over three or four. Your eye flits back and forth between the pie and the legend and when you compare different slices you need to remember who's who's. If you have to use more than a very few basic colours it gets very hard. In your chart I think you spent twice as much time reading as you do driving but I'm not sure. And remember there are a significant number of people who have real difficulty with perception of colour. In the bar chart you don't need to fuss about colour because the labels you need are immediately adjacent to the bars.

Also comparing differences in angle or area in a pie chart is just harder to do than comparing bar lengths.

Pie charts do have one thing in their favour - it is obvious that in a pie chart all the parts add up to a whole and this is not obvious with bar charts unless explained.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
robert_mika
Master III
Master III

I would change the color of the bar chart to more solid -patterns a fine but just distract from the main purpose.

Numbers on the top would also be good feature.

In the line or you have to change the font to smaller or better make a table next to the graph with the numbers.

In the Pie chart change the number to %.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Robert, thank you so much for your help

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I'm new to Qlikview too.

To me, pie chart is not making any sense with the tiny fraction of numbers.  Representation in % as Robert has mentioned would be nice.

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Consider sorting the Pie chart on values.

To make it more color blind proof, consider changing the dots in the line charts into different symbols for every line.

You can probably remove the "year" label from the bar chart as it is already obvious the x-axis are years. Also consider adding a grid to the chart so the heights are easier to compare or match against y-axis.

May you live in interesting times!
effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Stacy,

You may want to consider a horizontal bar chart instead of a pie chart.

Bar.jpg

For me pie charts quickly get difficult to make sense of when the number of pie slices gets over three or four. Your eye flits back and forth between the pie and the legend and when you compare different slices you need to remember who's who's. If you have to use more than a very few basic colours it gets very hard. In your chart I think you spent twice as much time reading as you do driving but I'm not sure. And remember there are a significant number of people who have real difficulty with perception of colour. In the bar chart you don't need to fuss about colour because the labels you need are immediately adjacent to the bars.

Also comparing differences in angle or area in a pie chart is just harder to do than comparing bar lengths.

Pie charts do have one thing in their favour - it is obvious that in a pie chart all the parts add up to a whole and this is not obvious with bar charts unless explained.

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

You are welcome

You can an make of our answers correct or helpful.

Feeling Qlikngry?

How To /Missing Manual(20 articles)

Not applicable
Author

Hi Andrew,

Very appreciate your time and help. Your suggestion is so valuable! Thank you!

effinty2112
Master
Master

You're most welcome Stacy.

effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Stacy,

I meant to say this earlier. If you're interested in dashboard design a great place to begin would be to google Stephen Few. As well as producing books he has a lot of freely available material that I'm sure you'll find really valuable.