Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can QlikView read an excel file by any name

Hi Experts,

We have to design an automation program in which business users will place an excel template filled with values at a pre defined shared location from where SSIS program will pick the excel and load it in staging and repository tables.

Currently what is happening is Business users do not adhere to the naming conventions and place the file with any name due to which the picking mechanism goes for a toes.

For Example: We have specified excel name should be Sales_Actual_012015  for Jan 2015 but the users would put Jan Actual sales.xls which the program will not read.

Although picking up the data and reading is done by SSIS, is there any way QlikView can read data with any input name , just the inside template should be followed properly ?

5 Replies
santhoo_san
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Try

FROM

[*.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, header is 2 lines, table is Sheet1);

I have used relative path for the source data.

amit_saini
Master III
Master III

avinashelite

Hi,

Yes, Qlikview can read excel files with any names it doesn't matter, the important part is the data in the excel files should have the same structure that's it. Make sure of the columns name are same with all the excel and the number of columns should also match . Please follow up on this

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Guys. One more thing I want to mention

The problem with reading [*.xls] is that we have month wise files kept in the folder , for example

Sales_Actual_012015  (For jan)

Sales_Actual_022105  (For feb)

Sales_Actual_032015 and so on. So in the month of April use is supposed to keep Sales_Actual_042015 and program should read only this file and make the dashboard. Problem arises when user for example places April Sales.xls

or April Actual.xls and not Sales_Actual_042015.xls

So if use *.xls, it wont solve this problem.

Hope I am clear with my question.

avinashelite

when we use * it load all the file in the folder , irrespective of the names. so you want to load only sales related files?? and your folder contains files of all i.e sales, marketing like that . If this is the case * load will definitely fail, so you need to create separate folders for sales, market etc . If you have only sales related files with common structure then * LOAD will surely the option