Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can we do it with QlikView

Hi All,

This the my first post and I am very much new to QlikView, I downloaded QlikView today only. Before I start I want to understand can I do a specific task through QlikView or not. I have created an application in DotNet but now my company managment want it to be done in QlikView and here I need your help.

I have 5 Dropdown list, 4 List box, and 1 button where after clicking on button the selected values from the dropdown and Listbox will fetch the data from Oracle database and then I can export it to excel.

Is it possible to create such application through QlikView where I can select the criteria in Listbox and dropdown list and at runtime will fetch the data from oracle database and give me a result in the form of table/report and then I can export it to excel.

If yes from where I can get the document for this which can help me to understand how can I do same.

Your guidance is very valuable for me. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Abhishek

9 Replies
Andrea_Ghirardello

Take a look at NPrinting (http://www.vizubi.com/nprinting/).

You can create your QlikView application that loads data from Oracle and then use NPrinting to generate reports.

For more information about this product I suggest you contact the NPrinting guys at support@vizubi.com or marketing@vizubi.com

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the information.

Do we really need to use NPrinting? If we get the data after selecting the criteria through QlikView, cant we directly export it to excel. My primary requirment it fetch the data from Oracle based on criteria and then export it to excel.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Gysbert_Wassenaar

It's possible using Direct Discovery or Partial Reload. That doesn't mean that you should. It's almost always much better to load all the data into Qlikview instead of using Qlikview as just another sql client and fire off single sql statements on the fly.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Andrea_Ghirardello

You can use macros but I don't know if you can use them on your enviroment and in general I tend to avoid them in production envrionment or for complex operations.

To be more clear, if your needs are (in addition to report generation):

- distribute report by email or into specific folders (based on recipients needs)

- schedule report generation

- generate report on-demand

I think using macros may be hard and the system may not be stable.

johanlindell
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Abhishek,

Is you database very big? If not, the general way in QlikView is to load all data into the application.mThen you "filter" the data in your list-boxes and multi-boxes. Create a table-box or table-"chart" and you can easily export the table to Excel via built in functionality.

If you have lots of data you may want to restrict when the chart is calculated so that it does not take too much memeory.

Brgds

Johan

Not applicable
Author

Hi Johan,

I have huge data in my database and want to restrict/filter on the basis of criteria which will be selected in listbox and dropdown list.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Not applicable
Author

My requirement is just to filter/fetch the data from oracle database based on criteria specified in listbox and dropdown list and then export it to excel and save on local system.

Andrea_Ghirardello

If you need to make simple operations like:

- select values in listboxes

- export a chart into excel

you only need QlikView.

You need to create your charts and enable the "Send to excel" in the "Special Icons" section (Caption tab of chart properties window). Otherwise you need to right-click on your chart and export it to excel using popup menu.

johanlindell
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Well - in this case you should look into the Direct Discovery that access your database "in real time" when it is needed in the application.

Although I have't worked with it my guess is that you need some kind of "trigger" to start it. Perhaps a button that makes the table be "visible" and then as a result of this - needs to go to database to fetch the data.

Good luck

Johan