Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Announcements
Attend QlikWorld 2020 and hear keynote speaker, Malcolm Gladwell. Register by February 29th to save $200. Learn More
Highlighted
retko1985
Contributor II

Cases when we get more data using joins.

Hello,

I heard that in some situations, using wrongly join will generate more data, and I will probably get bigger number when I do SUM. Can someone think of some examples? And also probably how to do it correctly.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Partner
Partner

Re: Cases when we get more data using joins.

Hi,

One example would be With Orders. Say you have order header and you have have order lines.

The header hold the total and the line the individual line values.

If you load the lines and then left Join head, the total will show on each line.

So if you SUM(TotalOrderValue) this value will bigger as it will be multiplied by the number of lines on the order.

It maybe fine to do the above, but you would have to make sure you're aware of the Aggreation front end.

Mark

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Partner
Partner

Hi,

One example would be With Orders. Say you have order header and you have have order lines.

The header hold the total and the line the individual line values.

If you load the lines and then left Join head, the total will show on each line.

So if you SUM(TotalOrderValue) this value will bigger as it will be multiplied by the number of lines on the order.

It maybe fine to do the above, but you would have to make sure you're aware of the Aggreation front end.

Mark

View solution in original post

Highlighted
prma7799
Honored Contributor III