There is a problem that is driving me nuts.
For some reason not only QV uses "Ctrl + S" as save shortcut, which is the standard, but it also uses "Alt + S" to do the very same thing. The problem is I need "Alt + S" to type this letter "š" (Latvian alphabet). I keep forgetting about it and accidentally save when I shouldn't be saving.
I searched google and this forum for answers, but couldn't find a way to change the save shortcut from Alt. Why is there such a silly shortcut anyway? Isn't "Ctrl + S" enough?
In my case (german regional-settings + (classical) windows keyboard) Alt + S didn't save a QV application and I don't remember of seeing it as shortcut for saving a file anywhere. Therefore I assume it's rather a special feature of your used keyboard and/or in combination with your regional-settings and/or that there is any shortcut-tool installed.
Thank you for your answer.
Still, I cannot figure out exactly what is wrong. Yes, if I switch to English language keyboard, the problem stops. However, when using Latvian QWERTY this problem does not occur in any other program. Interestingly, it doesn't even occur when looking at QV design sheet, but only when working in script.
Could QV script view have different shortcuts? Confusing.
IMO the design- and the script-view are different UI's ... but I'm not sure that this is essential in your case. If I look on the documented shortcuts (QlikView/keyboard-shortcuts.htm) and especially on the extended script-shortcut list (ctrl + qsc) there is no shortcut with the alt-key specified (whereby ctrl + s is also not mentioned).
Just to exclude temporary effects and specific settings and/or hardware-defects I suggest to restart your machine and to try it with a different keyboard (no special ones or from apple - just a cheap windows keyboard) and also on a different machine.
If this doesn't work it might become difficult. Maybe any shortcut-tool could be used to change this behaviour but it might cause other side-effects, too.
I tried using different keyboards, no success. I think my input language settings somehow overlap / conflict with QlikView script shortcuts.
Anyways, thanks for the help! I still have a hope that the IT guys in my work might help me with this.
If you are running a supported version of QlikView, and have current maintenance on your license, I would recommend opening a support case on this one, as we can collect all your details and submit to R&D to see if they may be able to find the problem. I have seen things like this with the double-byte languages, so it may be something of which they have been unaware. What I would probably recommend is testing in the latest 12.40 SR2 release, full build 12.40.20200 to see if it is still present there, then consider submitting things for us to check into. The trick on our side may be getting all the Latvian pieces you have, but we should be able to do so I believe.
To Marcus' point though, are you sure you did not somehow manage to accidentally reprogram something on your keyboard? I know sometimes due to my fat fingers I manage to get myself into things that I have no idea what sequence I hit to do what I did. Only other thing of which I can think, not sure if at OS level there is anything that may have gotten shifted somehow to have things behave differently than the norm. Sorry I do not have anything better. Oh, one place you could check, just in case, might be Windows Registry, you could check the following two keys to see if you spot anything there, only place of which I can think that something may have gotten stored somehow:
Thank you for your answer.
My company is currently running QV Version 12.20.20900.0
I checked the registry, but I don't really know what specifically to look for unfortunately. I don't think I accidentally reprogrammed something, because my colleagues also have the same issue.
I'll find out of it is possible for us to do an update and see if the problem persists.
There is one more SR available in the track you are running, SR9, build 21000, so you could try that, but I am not holding out much hope that is going to address things.
You could pull the latest 12.40 SR2 client and try that too just to see if it does the same thing or not too, that should cover all the bases, there are some pretty big changes in 12.40 track though, mostly from 12.30 track, but you would probably need to do some pretty thorough testing before jumping to that one.
And sure enough after I posted that, we released some newer SRs with an additional patch for an issue related to upcoming changes in Chrome 80 which will follow in other browsers too, so here are the latest SRs for all the supported tracks:
11.20 SR20 / 13908
12.20 SR10 / 21100
12.30 SR4 / 20400
12.40 SR3 / 20300