Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Charts with dynamic dimensions and date ranges

Hi,

Please can someone help with my query?

I want to allow users to:

1. select to view data by calendar or fiscal dates
  2. select an analysis date field (this could be 'order date', 'date required' etc. which are all in different tables)
  3. select a period of analysis (day, month, quarter, ...)

and then view the sales for those selections in a pivot or straight table

I started doing this with a master calendar with fields such as calendar month, fiscal month, calendar year, fiscal year etc.  However this was linked to only one date field and so did not allow point 2 above.

I then tried to use island tables with one for calendar / fiscal view and one for analysis date view.  These had one column and the entries consisted of the values that the user will select: i.e. the analysis date island table was one field called 'Analysis Date' with entries 'order date', 'date required' etc.  I then used a variable with an if statement to pick the right field as a dimension in the chart (i.e. if Analysis Date = 'order date' then use the order date field).  I then created a load more variables to pull the month, quarter, year etc. for the date selected.  This worked perfectly for points 1 and 2 above although the table was slow to load.  However I can't achieve point 3 above as the period analysis 'fields' are all variables.

Can someone please help me?  There must be a smart way to do this.

Thanks. 

0 Replies