Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Not applicable

Comparing between periods of time

Hi,

I'm dealing with working accidents database. Each accident has a date field. I want to calculate the number of accidents during a requested period of time (for example: first quarter of 2010) and then compare it to the number of accidents in the same quarter of the previous year. In fact, I want to divide those two numbers (number of accidents in current period / number of accidents in similar previous period) to see if the result is bigger than 1 or not.

Can I do this in QlikView? Can I do this for each period of time? (month,year etc.)

Thanx!

Smiley Happy

3 Replies
Not applicable

AW:Comparing between periods of time

Hi,

sounds as if it could be done with QV Smiley Wink

Make a cyclic group with the kinds of periods you want to see (months, weeks, quarters...).

Summarize over time, make a second expression with the period minus 1 (with set-expression).

Whereas period stands for week, month or whatever you have chosen.

And then you can divide, for example with column(2)/column(3). So you get your value bigger or smaller than 1 Smiley Happy

HTH

Not applicable

Thank you for your quick reply! Smiley Happy

I will give it a shot

Nitzan

Not applicable

I tried your tip but it seems that I don't fully understand where to insert the "period - 1" statement... Do I add it to the cyclic group when I creat it (under Settings -> Document properties) or in the chart that I've added? I just can't find this set -> expression button that you described...

And another small question - you said that I can devide the results of the two periods to see if it's bigger than one or not. Can I creat a Gauge chart and connect that result to it? I mean: 1 will be the center line, above it will be the right area and below it will be the red area...

Thanx

Nitzan

Community Browser