Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Concatenate and Joins in a new script tab

Hi, I have multiple tabs in the script where each tab represents the data of a particular table and the dashboard sheet created. But there are few columns and data with the same names and data that is being used in other dashboard sheets as well. So I am loading the data in a single script tab and used Concatenate and Joins to eliminate the synthetic keys. This made the loading script a single page as compared to the previous individual script tabs. ( For example, earlier, Script Tab A only has data loading for the dashboard sheet A and Script Tab B only has data loading for Dashboard sheet B. Now, there is only single tab where all the data loading is happening and concatenate and joins are used). This is causing some confusion for others as they are not able to understand why the data is being loaded in the single script sheet. Is it possible to load the data in separate tabs and still use the functions of Concatenate and Joins on them? If yes, how.

13 Replies
sunny_talwar

Yes you can. Are you using the table names you are joining or concatenating into? -> Join (TableName) or Concatenate  (TableName)... If you are, then you don't need to do anything. Just cut and paste the script on different tabs as desired.

Not applicable
Author

But wouldn't this load the same data twice? One while normal load and one while concatenating or Joining?

sunny_talwar

I am not really sure I understand. Can you share more details of what you are trying to do?

gsbeaton
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

The tabs are actually invisible to the script parser so you can structure them entirely as you want.  Variables, subroutines and tables declared on one tab are available throughout all the tabs.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

The script is always executed from top to bottom (in one tab) and from left to right (tabs); I assume you don't have subroutines.

It doesn't matter how you split your source in different tabs, just pay attention at the order top-->bottom, left right

Not applicable
Author

I have loaded three different tables in three different tabs of the script window. While working, I realized that the tables have few field names as the same and other parameters that was creating synthetic keys. In order to eliminate/minimize the synthetic keys, I have loaded the tables in a single script tab, used concatenate and joins wherever possible to eliminate the synthetic keys. This solved my issue, but earlier, the data tables were loaded in their respective scripting tabs and looked clean as I can differentiate which table is for what Qlikview sheet. Now, since I am loading the data in a single script tab to use concatenate and joins, the script sheet kinda looks confusing.

Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

Hi,

Sunny is right, You can use Concatenate('Table'), if you want to concatenate to a table that isn't loaded directly before.

The script page to page just like it was below

So tab 1

Load table 1

Join

Tab 2

Load table2

Would give the same result as have the

Tab 1

Load table1

Join

Load table 2

But best practice to say Join(Table1)

Mark

Not applicable
Author

How do I concatenate or join two tables that are present in two different tabs?

maxgro
MVP
MVP

tab1

Table1:

load rand() as field1, 'Table1' as type autogenerate 100;

tab2

TableA:

load ............

tab3

concatenate(Table1)

load rand() as field1, 'Table2' as type autogenerate 100;