Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kev_Thomas
Contributor III
Contributor III

Count where specific text is found in multiple fields

Hi there,

I have a spreadsheet with a mass of data and trying to avoid doing too much pre-processing in Excel before loading into Qlikview. The data is an extract from Jira and contains a number of fields, but the one's I'm interested in are:

Issue ID - which is the unique identifier of the Jira ticket
TPR - Target Production Release (an identifier that can group records together by a specific TPR)

Labels
Labels1
Labels2
Labels3 etc. upto 
Labels20

What I need to do is count the number of unique Issue IDs where the Labels(n) fields contain data that looks like 'RC*' (using a Wildcard search) and group this by the TPR (which is the dimension on the chart).

Not sure how to construct this in a way that will allow me to plot the number of records (count of Issue ID), by TPR.

Any clues, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Kev

I've tried using OR statements in expressions, but can't seem to get a simple line chart going 😞

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

I suggest to change the datamodel to transform your crosstable into a "normal" table. See here what's meant:

The-Crosstable-Load 

- Marcus

View solution in original post

Kev_Thomas
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Brett_Bleess  - I've had so much help from people on this thread, but I think @marcus_sommer probably deserves the accolade as he provided most guidance. However kudos to @Saravanan_Desingh for his suggestions on the Crosstable solution.

I have resorted to refactoring the input data to include flags instead of trying to do the calculations within Qlikview itself, but without the suggestions and support from these guys - I would never have got there.

Thanks all

Kev

View solution in original post

31 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi, if the dimension is TPR the group by would be done by the chart itselft.

And the expresion to count issues can be: Count(Distinct {<[Issue ID]={"RC*"}>} [Issue ID])

Kev_Thomas
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the reply @rubenmarin . There is no mention of the Labels fields though in your statement, but i will give this a try

marcus_sommer

I suggest to change the datamodel to transform your crosstable into a "normal" table. See here what's meant:

The-Crosstable-Load 

- Marcus

Kev_Thomas
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks @marcus_sommer , that does look useful, but I have a data file with 84 columns and so unless I can split the load of the file into two sections, I may struggle with this approach. Apologies for trying to simplify the question, but it's more that I'm probably not explaining the scenario properly.

A cutdown example of what I'm looking at is show below.

So I need to be able to count any issue id where 'RC*' can be found in any of the Labels Columns.

Issue idLabelsLabels1Labels2Labels3Labels4Labels5Labels6
319626aaaaaabbbbbRCxxx    
322523ccccccRCxxx     
326580RCxxx      
326988dddddeeeeefffffRCxxx   
327181RCxxx      
327694gggggRCxxx     
331115hhhhhiiiiijjjjjkkkkklllllRCxxx 
331761mmmmmnnnnnooooopppppRCxxx  
333645RCxxx      
marcus_sommer

If you apply the crosstable-load you will get a table with 3 columns: Issue Id, a category-field (name it like you want - it will contain the information which label it is) and a value-field (again you could name it and it contained the values).

After it you could load this table again and adding:

if(value like 'RC*', 1, 0) as Flag

and then you could just use:

sum(Flag)

within any UI object or you may use this flag-field within a set analysis or in a listbox - it's quite simple.

- Marcus

Kev_Thomas
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

@marcus_sommer - I see what you're getting at now. Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly gen up on the crosstable load and see how I can apply this.

I (foolishly?) was under the impression you could only do one load from a file per "project".

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again. 🙂

rubenmarin

Sorry, a mix of my bad english and fast reading and I skip an important part, it looks clearer with the sample data.

I think Marcus solution is the best approach.

An OR in set analysis can be done as: =Count(Distinct {<Label1={"RC*"}>+<Label2={"RC*"}>+<Label3={"RC*"}>...to Label20} [Issue ID])

Saravanan_Desingh

One solution is.

tab1:
LOAD * INLINE [
    Issue id, Labels, Labels1, Labels2, Labels3, Labels4, Labels5, Labels6
    319626, aaaaaa, bbbbb, RCxxx,  ,  ,  ,  
    322523, cccccc, RCxxx,  ,  ,  ,  ,  
    326580, RCxxx,  ,  ,  ,  ,  ,  
    326988, ddddd, eeeee, fffff, RCxxx,  ,  ,  
    327181, RCxxx,  ,  ,  ,  ,  ,  
    327694, ggggg, RCxxx,  ,  ,  ,  ,  
    331115, hhhhh, iiiii, jjjjj, kkkkk, lllll, RCxxx,