Contributor
Contributor

Create a chart to represent text field

I have a table like this

Subject             Date                 Incharge

Physics        2018-01-01          Person 1

Physics        2018-04-01          Person 2

Physics        2018-08-01          Person 1

I would like to create a visual which can show me the Incharge in the chart for every PeriodCapture123.PNG

Can someone help me how do i visually represent a table with this kind of information? 

Labels (2)
8 Replies
marcus_sommer

I think you could use a bar-chart with an offset and a dual-expression to get a quite similar visualization. For this you could extend your data to a numeric value for each record and an appropriate offset-value, for example with something like this:

load *, 1 as Counter, autonumber(Incharge) - 1 as Offset inline [
Subject, Date, Incharge
Physics, 2018-01-01, Person 1
Physics, 2018-04-01, Person 2
Physics, 2018-08-01, Person 1
];

SpecialBarchart.JPG

whereby the offset (within the attribute-expressions) is just: = Offset and then a few layout-adjustements to reduce the distance between the bars, hide the axis and whatever you want to layout.

- Marcus

rocknroll9
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thankyou. Can you please send me the qvw file you worked on? I'm very new to qlikview and i would want to see your work.

marcus_sommer

See here ...

rocknroll9
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you very much.

rocknroll9
Contributor
Contributor
Author

can you help me how to modify this script to pull the data from any given table instead of using inline to manually load the data?

marcus_sommer

An inline-table is quite the same like a normal csv or other textfiles with a comma as the default delimiter - but you could add any fileformat like you want, like: ... (txt, delimiter is \t); and therefore it's not different from a normal loading.

If your real data contain a different granularity it might be necessary or more practically to create an extra table from them for this special chart. How does your data look like?

- Marcus

rocknroll9
Contributor
Contributor
Author

My data is in a text file. since you manually put in the table values using  inline, i wanted to know how to modify it to load data from a table rather than keying the values of the table.

Physics, 2018-01-01, Person 1
Physics, 2018-04-01, Person 2
Physics, 2018-08-01, Person 1

marcus_sommer

It's just:

load *, 1 as Counter, autonumber(Incharge) - 1 as Offset from YourTextFile.txt (txt, delimiter is ',');

Your file-extension and file-format might be different - just use the file-wizard to detect all these parameters automatically.

- Marcus