cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create default user bookmark only once

Helo,

We have a requirement to allow Users to add products to a bin and later compare them. If it is just that session I could have used alternate state but the Users want to see the products in bin even when they come back later.

Current idea is to use a user bookmark and keep replacing its state whenever products are added to bin.

For this I want to create a default bookmark for each user, just once.

I tried setting up a Create Bookmark Action on document load with a specific id and name. It works fine the first time but even if User opens the document the second time, it creates another bookmark with same name but with system generated id. In fact this creates a document bookmark that cant be replaced through a button action in access point.

Is it possible to create user bookmark with specific id just once?

Do you see any other way to implement this requirement?

Thanks,

VJ

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Nice requirement.

Is it possible to create user bookmark with specific id just once?

You may do this manually still I have no idea how to track bookmark-user relationship...

Do you see any other way to implement this requirement?

Did you think about using alternate states? You may simply store your bin as selections in another alternate state. Let the QV server to do the dirty job of handling everything.

PS: oh, BTW, another option is to use very simple extension and a single variable. Some JavaScript coding required but this is actually just a few lines of code:

- store your bin contents in a cookie

- each time the extension loads set variable from cookie

- use actions / triggers to change variable and interact with extension

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Andrei. The extension is the last thing we want to do.

I was thinking that the filters applied by the Users will be cleared once they logoff but apparently they just stay even after re-login. The default filters that should be applied on document load is also not applied, which is another issue.

Is this the default behavior or is this something to do with my browser cache?

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

Hi VJ,

This is actually fiche of ajax which remember last user sections. You can clear them in access poins secltin clear last document state.

Regarding creating bookmark for each user. You can do it manually by creating bookmark like server object and afterwards changing owner of this bookmark in management console.

Another possible solution. you could try to add script on open which will show text for user to create bookmark with some name as an addition this script will check if bookmark already exists and hide text in case of exists. by the end script could apply bookmark for each user. something like that 

Not applicable
Author

Is this the default behavior or is this something to do with my browser cache?

Yep,

OnOpen

Select this event to assign an action to be executed each time the QlikView document is opened. This event is not supported when running in the AJAX client.

If you want empty bin each time user re-opens the document then selections in alternate state are not an option too. Until you disable saving session state for the server but in this case you will lose all selections after session expired.

All of these are tricky workarounds from my point of view... Kind of non-standard feature and I would pick extension way.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Since the server remembers the last session of the User, I could use an alternate state and got this working.

Only problem is - User should not clear the last document state in access point. Is there a way to hide this feature?